Calvert Cliffs on Labor day Monday?

Adam86cucv

Am I crazy to be tempted to go down on Monday?  I thought with the storm off shore it may help with releasing fossils. My sister in law said that she heard that it was gaining power and going to sit stalled out off the coast until midweek.  If that is the case I'm not sure if it is a good for not.

Depending on the storms location, wind direction and tides there may be high water that renders the cliffs uncollectable.   If the wave action was good and strong could be good for collecting.  I've gone down there after a hurricane and you could not even get down to the front beach.  Hard to tell but worth a view if it's not a long trip.

Keep an eye on the weather, and if it isn't a long trip, as Frank said,.... Go for it.

Just exercise caution, and keep your eyes to the sky. :)

We went down and found it was near capacity and when we got to the beach the cliffs to the north have eroded quite a bit. The beach is gone at the trailhead. People stepped down the reeds to the south to get to the to the rest of the beach. The rest of the beach has some erosion but was still decent shape.  We found 2 teeth and several ray plate fragments. After the beach we went down to the Calvert marine museum. 

Edited by Adam86cucv

Sorry to hear that your trip was a bit of a bust.  Do you think the erosion was from the storm action or did it appear to be tide related?   Dave 

The park volunteer said it was from storm action.  I wish I had thought of taking a few pictures.  It was a bit of a surprise to see the trail just drop into the water.  It was probably a 2'- 3' drop .  

Edited by Adam86cucv
  • 2 weeks later...

The wind and rain fall can affect the tides and it looks like this is the case from your picture. There's other sites. I just found a handful of fossils at Breezy Point beach. You can find them anywhere along the Calvert Cliff coastline.