Show Me Your Ventral Side Prepared Trilobites!

Raptor Lover

I was wondering if anyone has trilobites with the ventral side exposed as opposed to the common dorsal side

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

I was wondering this the other day too! What it looks like under there.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Here is a nice Russian Asaphus punctatus double from my collection, dorsal and ventral side by side.  

The ventral specimen also provides up close detail of the apodemes, the points of muscle attachment. 

IMG1.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

37 minutes ago, piranha said:

Here is a nice Russian Asaphus punctatus double from my collection, dorsal and ventral side by side.  

The ventral specimen also provides up close detail of the apodemes, the points of muscle attachment. 

IMG1.jpg

Ooh, very nice!

1 hour ago, Ash said:

I was wondering this the other day too! What it looks like under there.

Yeah, I was just sitting there looking at my phacops (I think it's a phacops, I'm not certain though0 and I was thinking "What if they prepared the bottom of it? What doe the legs and the underside look like?"

• 2 months later...

IMG1.jpg IMG2.jpg    Here is a ventral positioned Dolichoharpes reticulate that I found this summer. Pirranah provided the image next to it showing what the dorsal side would look like. Unfortunately, I am not ventrally prepping this one so this is as good of look underneath as I can give you.

15 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Is that the real ventral or the ventral view of the dorsal?

Real ventral.  One of those pics that plays trick on the eyes

Archived