Trilobite : a 3D reconstruction

archeo

• 4 weeks later...

My recent Trilobite CGI Deiphon forbesi.

Deiphon05.thumb.jpg.8a2b4b74db6c07a7d3ad287f578480a9.jpg

Deiphon_f_top.thumb.jpg.13b18af79a4d68e59544a42ea4f4c583.jpg

Deiphon_f_left.thumb.jpg.c2c3ac08b93175b460d8a223c251e0fa.jpg

Trilobite 3d data (blender format) download URL  http://cambrian1995.webcrow.jp/html/archives.html

About triops.

Triops are comparatively common fauna in rice paddy field of western part of JAPAN.

So easy observation sets are sold in AMAZON Japan.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/search/ref=sr_gnr_aps?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aカブトエビ+飼育&keywords=カブトエビ+飼育&ie=UTF8&qid=1488367027

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/カブトエビ

PLS translate English. do not select english version. Article contents are a little different.

How about your nation? 

• 1 month later...

Amazing design! I am actually making a trilobite model out of a Styrofoam cast and several plaster mixtures. I don't think mine was going to be as detailed and accurate though!    :trilowalk:     :trilo:      :trilosurprise:

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a new member, this is the first time I have seen you work, very nice!  I have been to a few art shows, some of the other artists use a product called Zbrush.  I am willing to try using it but I am afraid the learning curve might make it slow and clumsy, at least at first.  I normally work in clay then make a silicone rubber mold of the sculpture so I can offer limited editions then go to a foundry to have it cast in bronze.  I am working on a heteromorphic ammonite piece now but am still trying to find out the spine number for the genus I want to sculpt.  

My fist paleo themed piece was a sculpture of Isotelus maximus, I sculpted the trilobite and placed it on a bronze base cast from a piece of fossiliferous limestone I collected behind the house.  The limestone already had crinoids, bryozoans and brachiopods in it, I added some castings of the trilobite Flexicalymene meeki.

Bronze is a cool medium to work in, it will support a lot of the detail and small fine features like the appendages, it is very strong to cantilever the sculpture out to show movement and will last for ...?  A long time.  If you choose to cast you work bronze does offer a lot of advantages, price is a problem however.  I was charges $720 to cast the sculpture, I have cast several in this edition and this price is relatively reasonable.  

fisotelusmaximus,castbronzeonalimestonebase,ventralview.jpg

fisotelusmaximus,castbronzeonlimestonebase,sideview.jpg

fisotelusmaximus,castbronzeonalimestonebase,topview.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been here for a while, sorry

@ comsuella2293

Very beautiful model. It does not seem to have a UV map. If so, you should consider to create one to paint a more complex texture. Blender has the ability to create UV map.

@ james herrmann

Your sculpture is impressive and original, what is its size?

I continue my work on Trilobites with the ontogeny and the life history . Here is a reconstruction of a pelagic protaspis of Isotelus. The benthic exemple (Physemataspis) is in preparation.
I update my website with the study of "La face cachée du Trilobite" (The hidden face of the Trilobite).
http://www.evolution-biologique.org/echelle-du-temps/echelle-des-temps-geologiques/ordovicien/face-cachee-du-trilobite.html
Sorry but the website is in French, automatic translation seems not to be so bad.

protaspis-isoletus.jpg

• 2 months later...

A benthic protaspis, the exemple of Encrinuroides.

The ontogeny and life history are terminated and now I am working on locomotor activity. This is a very difficult part of working on Trilobites. Not easy to understand how millipeds move in order to inspire them to animate a Trilobite

encrinuroides-protaspis-adulte.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Love the quality of Your reproductions!

I would think a horseshoe crab or a lobster would be a closer match (for locomotion) than a millipede. (Just a thought.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

A lobster it is 5 pairs of locomotory appendages, Isopoda 7 pairs, horseshoe crab 5 pairs.

A Trilobite (Triarthrus) 17 pairs, thus a Centiped like Glomeris is a good extant equivalent.

Yes doushantuo the reading of Sidnie Manton's papers are my main source of information. This lady did an extraordinary job with very simple material.

Now, I understood how centipedes walk and reproduice it with my 3D software.

An example (choose a loop reading)

comparaison_ondes_metachronales.mp4

some references

The evolution of arthropodan locomotory mechanisms.- part 2. General introduction to the locomotory mechanisms of the Arthropoda. by S. M. Manton 1951 Journ. linn. soc.-zoology, vol. 42 pages 93-116

and more specialy this page

image.thumb.png.69e10fcf78f7b6f1e07666c2550f191e.png

Whittington, H. B. 1975 : Trilobites with appendages from the Middle Cambrian, Burgess Shale, British Columbia. Fossils and Strata, No. 4, pp. 97 - 136, PIs. 1-25.

Seilacher, A. 2007. Trace Fossil Analysis. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.

Skimming the surface with Burgess Shale arthropod locomotion. Nicholas J. Minter, M. Gabriela Mangano and Jean-Bernard Caron Proc. R. Soc. B (2012) 279, 1613–1620 (Electronic supplementary text is very informative.)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, archeo said:

Very good job Comsuella, but your Isoletus is a bad boy. What does he drunk?:)

My last update in French but the movie does not need to understand French it is a silent one
text version

movie

comics

I do not speak French, but that video was very informative. Well done!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Hi,

Would not I already have seen that this morning on a French forum? The video is very instructive !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

Yes ! ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived