9/5/16- monster Ptychodus from north TX

John S.

Slow day today but this made up for it. Saw it in the corner of my eye at the end. It is my biggest Ptychodus, I assume it is a Latissimus? According to my book the maximum size is 30 mm. This one is 38 mm(1.5 inches). 

Far North TX, eagle ford- 86-90 mya

image.jpeg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

John, that is an exceptional tooth. Thank you for sharing it with us.:dinothumb:

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Thank you guys. Just proves to follow through with the hunt. You never know when a great find will happen. 

North Central Texas

It's humongous! But with my eye site I would have been crawling on my knees to see it.  Hey, not only did you get a great tooth, but a Jeep key in the process. Man you Texans are lucky.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I plan on finding one of these beauty's  on my next trip to Texas....I Wish.....Great find And Color,,,Wow.  I love these teeth. I have small,,very small ones my Texas friend send me

Congrad's on a wonderful find....:dinothumb:  

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I love these as well. They are so rare as it is so when you find a big one it's really really nice ; )

North Central Texas

Very beautiful and very nice to find them that big.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

You only thought you had the biggest Ptychodus tooth around here................ BAM! This sucker is nearly 2"

All jokes aside, really nice tooth! Yours appears to be in great shape and I love the color and textures.

Monster Ptychodus.JPG

2 hours ago, Koldsimer said:

You only thought you had the biggest Ptychodus tooth around here................ BAM! This sucker is nearly 2"

All jokes aside, really nice tooth! Yours appears to be in great shape and I love the color and textures.

Monster Ptychodus.JPG

Wow you got me. Is that a Latissimus as well?

North Central Texas

Based on the Ptychodus quick id guide, I was thinking it was Atcoensis. I wish I could be sure. The crown appears to be very worn and I can't find any identifying characteristics that show me exactly what it is. I remember when I found it. I looked down and thought it was some kind of weird vert. It's definitely the biggest Ptychodus tooth I've seen. That being said, I found a partial that looks like it would have been considerably larger than the black tooth pictured.

52 minutes ago, Koldsimer said:

Based on the Ptychodus quick id guide, I was thinking it was Atcoensis. I wish I could be sure. The crown appears to be very worn and I can't find any identifying characteristics that show me exactly what it is. I remember when I found it. I looked down and thought it was some kind of weird vert. It's definitely the biggest Ptychodus tooth I've seen. That being said, I found a partial that looks like it would have been considerably larger than the black tooth pictured.

That's crazy. Where did you find that one?

North Central Texas