theFossilForum group dig at Penn Dixie

DevonianDigger

Hello everyone! I was hoping to make arrangements for the members of the group to have one more group outing at the site before the winter hits and we're all snowed into hibernation for the year.

I don't have a date in mind yet, but would like to open it up to the group to see if, a.) there is anyone interested; and b.) what dates would be of interested to people. 

I believe the rate would be $5/person for the day. DM me with any questions or suggestions!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I am always interested in going to Penn Dixie! I will be working out of town off and on for the next two months, so planning a date would be good. 

Count me in! All will depend on scheduling, of course. Early October might be an idea since it is still somewhat pleasant out, and enough daylight to work with (it gets a bit dicier the longer we wait!).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I am interested. For some reason I have not been there yet. Let's see if I can squeeze it in between Salmon fishing!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I call dibs on being the one who hauls the huge slabs. Cut them out and I'll heft them out. If malcolm comes we will all have our tasks :D mine will be lifter.

59 minutes ago, Kane said:

I call dibs on being the one who hauls the huge slabs. Cut them out and I'll heft them out. If malcolm comes we will all have our tasks :D mine will be lifter.

Maybe we can sweet-talk someone into bringing the saw :P

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

I'd love to go, but the 8 hour drive is too far.  :ank:

Good luck to all who show up - can't wait to see the report. :D

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would also love to go but the 24 hour drive time and an extremely busy autumn... well, maybe next time.  Looking forward to a trip report.   Have fun, y'all. 

I'm hoping to plan it for maximum attendance, if @Kane is in for the 9th are other people okay with that date as well? (Can't not have our heavy lifter/good luck charm, lol!)

Or should we do 8 & 9 so that more people can make it out?

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

On 9/7/2016 at 10:18 AM, Fossildude19 said:

I'd love to go, but the 8 hour drive is too far.  :ank:

Good luck to all who show up - can't wait to see the report. :D

Regards,

On 9/7/2016 at 10:23 AM, Scylla said:

I would love to go too,  but 12 hours drive time makes it a tough sell for a one day trip.:(

On 9/7/2016 at 0:05 PM, jpc said:

I would also love to go but the 24 hour drive time and an extremely busy autumn... well, maybe next time.  Looking forward to a trip report.   Have fun, y'all. 

Thatis why you don't plan for just one day at Penn Dixie, you also add some other local sites to visit. Lockport, NY for Rochester Shale, 18 Mile creek (upstream as the lake side is a bit trickier to get to now), other local creek exposures, and, if you are feeling lucky and it's a friday, Ridgemont quarry near Fort Erie, Canada for Eurypterids. 

8-12 hour (one way) trips are my forte. You just stop off along the way for an hour or two at different sites. :);)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Oh yeah, I'm in tentatively for the 8th or 9th of October, even though it's a six hour drive from Philly. :P

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I'll echo Dave here in saying that there is no harm in stretching the event over two or more days, which may also have the fringe benefit of accommodating the schedules of more folks. Hotel prices should be more reasonable, too. For us Canadians, this will be our Thanksgiving weekend, so any Canucks who are more keen on digging into the rocks than into the turkey will have a Monday option. 

Unlike Dave's good suggestion of hitting up sites along the way, my personal preference is to sit down and focus on one area. Last time I was at PD, I don't think I moved more than 20 feet from the same spot for two days other than to hack out slabs and split them at a nice part of the stratum. For me and the missus, it is a 3 hour drive in an ideal world, but we have border security to deal with (and all those illegal panda bears, don't forget). That being said, if Dave's suggestion results in some members doing a kind of "fossil tour" en route to PD to justify the long drive, that is just awesome. It makes me jealous of those who are retired!

I think this is an ideal time: cooler, less packed, and probably enough daylight. Anything after Halloween will probably be too nippy with a truncated day in terms of light. The dark winter cometh :(

Hey Everyone !!! listen up those fossils won't be there forever, plate tectonics are going to move them and then you'll be sorry you didn't take the time to go.....:blink: You'll have to find them all over again.

Fossil Fun with the State Paleontologist

Saturday, October 8, 2016

11 a.m.–12:30 p.m. and 1:30–3 p.m.

Museum Lab

Free

Come meet New York State Paleontologist, Lisa Amati and bring your questions or fossils for expert identification. Explore fossils from our world famous collection and interact with real fossils at education stations designed for both children and adults. This is a great opportunity to learn about the work of a Paleontologist.

I'd love to go. I've been trying to get there for a few years, and October is a terrific time to go. I already have so many plans for that month, though. I'll see if I can rearrange my plans and get up there. It would be great to meet more of the TFF crowd and to hunt up there, at Penn Dixie and maybe elsewhere too if I can squeeze it all in. Time will tell. Thanks for organizing this trip. :trilowalk:

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Okay, so if I'm understanding everyone correctly, the general agreement is that this should be a 3(?) day event? Sat. 8 - Mon. 10? I can make that happen.

Is there anyone coming in who would be looking for accommodations? I can try to set something up with one of my hotel contacts for a group rate if there are enough people.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Okay! So, here's the current plan. 

Penn Dixie

Sat. Oct. 8

9 am - Open Dig + WNY Earth Day Event 

15 different environmental organizations will be present with booths

food truck from Lloyd's Taco (as seen on 'Shark Tank')

drilling rig will be up taking core samples

6 pm - Saturn, Mars, and the Fall Constellations

Telescopes will focus on Venus low on the western horizon at sunset, Saturn low in the west, Mars, the waxing crescent moon, the famous Double open star cluster NGC 869-84 in Perseus, (ET) open star cluster NGC 457 in Cassiopeia constellation, the bright star Capella with its flashing colors rising in the east around 9 PM, and the Draconid Meteors. Our astronomy experts will be your guide to the night sky at Penn Dixie. You may bring along your own telescope or are welcome to use one of the telescopes provided for the evening. Admission to these evening events is $4; Penn Dixie members attend for free. Please note that programs may be canceled due to cloud cover or rainy conditions at the site.

Sun. Oct. 9

9 am - Open Dig 

5 pm - Site Closed 

Mon. Oct. 10

9 am - Open Dig + First Responder's Appreciation Day (first responders and families are free)

Astronomers and telescopes set up to view sunspots

food truck from Anderson's

5 pm - Site Closed

If enough people are going it will only be $5 a day for the site per person. That being said, please RSVP to me by DM if you are seriously considering attending so I can confirm the group with the site. Thank you!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Hello.. unfortunately I am going to have to bow out on this trip, as my dog sitters are completely booked up for this weekend and I can't find a suitable replacement.

I really want to go to this spot.

I will just have to wait until next spring/summer...  it would have been nice to meet some of the forum members too...