zacharge

San Francisco Bay Area hunters?

zacharge

Hey everyone,

Newbie here. Was wondering if anyone in the SF Bay Area wanted to go out fossil hunting? I am very new to this hobby and the extent of my "hounding" has been walking beaches and bluffs in hopes of finding marine fossils. I have also encountered mollusk and gastropod fossils in rock outcrops, road cuts, and in rocks while herping- looking for snakes, lizards, salamanders, etc. 

Zach

Asaphida

Me too! New(ish) to San Francisco as well. I've been fossil hunting mostly in the Santa Cruz area (I have a big collection of mollusks, crab fragments, and even a sand dollar from the Purisima) but haven't been anywhere in SF yet! 

DPS Ammonite

One of the best places to see and take pictures of fossils is at Point Reyes National Seashore north of San Francisco. Fossil sea mammals and sharks crowd the Miocene/Pliocene Purisima Formation at Drakes Bay. Remember this is a park, take only pictures. This area is also under continuing scientific investigation by one of our members. See this article: http://nature.nps.gov/geology/nationalfossilday/cenozoic_pore.cfm

curiousfinds

Hi. I live on the Coast side of San Mateo. I would love to join up and hunt fossils.

Boesse

Yup, lots and lots of fossils in the bay area. Be sure to know where collecting is and is not legal; generally speaking, Half Moon Bay and Point Reyes are completely protected and require permits.

That being said, if you come across something that is scientifically significant - I'd love to see it! Study of the Purisima Fm. assemblage is still in its infancy.