Coral Pleurodictyum Americanum ??

Stingray

Not sure but could be coral Pleurodictyum Americanum need some expert assessment please. Size is about 1 inch square

SAM_0395 (2).JPG

SAM_0397 (2).JPG

All of our pictures are from the same angle. It would help if the other sides can be shown.

As is it looks geologic to Me.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I don't know if there is coral there, maybe it could help if you posted photos of the other faces.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

20 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I'm curious why you think it is this particular genus,or why  it would be a coral.

Meanwhile,a bit of quantitative paleontology(fourier analysis of corallites of this genus):

Doushantuo,

To answer your question I new the matrix is Devonian era and some research on the web also at the link below..I wasn't sure so I posted in fossil ID forum so I could get some more ideas and or a positive ID thanks for looking  ;)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/ 

Edited by Stingray
Re-Phrased the answer so it did not sound Grumpy and bad-tempered

4 hours ago, Stingray said:

4a.JPG

Thanks for your MP.

I am sorry, i see no septas, so i also think it is geologic. You have odd shapes on that stone that can make think there is something.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

I would say definitely NOT Pleurodictyum americanum

However, I don't think this is geologic, either.

My theory, is that there are bivalves under there somewhere, covered with some type of encrusting and/or branching bryozoan, the stems of which are the only thing left showing. 

Interesting piece, but I don't think ID will be easily pinned down.   :unsure:

Regards, 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for all the responses . Based on the responses I will strike this up as driveway fill........B)

Since there seems to be a difference of opinion on this object You may want to take it to a local museum and have a paleontologist look at it in person, before You drive on it.

Sometimes it takes in hand evaluation to be sure of the identity.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Ha too late its already been used as fill in the driveway. Perhaps 1,000 years from now some Fossil Freak like us will say what the heck is all this Devonian doing in glacial till.. Maybe its a thrust fault. Oh look what I found tabulate coral or hey pretty cool rock .......... :head scratch:

I would have classified it as 'doorstop material', which is just above 'driveway fill' in the Practical Use of Dubious Fossils classification scheme.

2 hours ago, Stingray said:

Perhaps 1,000 years from now

They will be too busy fending off the bioenhanced tardigrades with their flying Fords to notice.

2 hours ago, westcoast said:

I would have classified it as 'doorstop material', which is just above 'driveway fill' in the Practical Use of Dubious Fossils classification scheme.

8 minutes ago, DNF said:

They will be too busy fending off the bioenhanced tardigrades with their flying Fords to notice.

Door stop no it would scratch the floors..Wife would look like this..:angry:

Second part I had to look up that one" tardigrades " new word of the day for me thanks....:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Even a flying car needs windshield wipers......:D

Edited by Stingray

17 minutes ago, Stingray said:

Second part I had to look up that one" tardigrades " new word of the day for me thanks....:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

I love tardigrades - I think they're adorable!  Especially their common name: "water bears"!  So cute! :wub:

(For those of you not wanting to look up "tardigrades" - they are tiny invertebrate animals (they have their own Phylum: Tardigrada) that tend to live in moist areas such as moss - they are NOT bears!  But if you look up images of them you'll see the resemblence :))

I am not convinced this is just geologic.  I suspect you may have a piece of the giant Devonian lichid trilobite Terataspis grandis.  This trilobite has never been found intact, but pieces are notable for their large size and extreme tuberculation.  I'd get that fossil back from the driveway and check it out before you drive over it too many times as this is not a common trilobite.

Don

Terataspis.jpg

@Stingray any chance you can dig this out of the fill? Terataspis is like the holy grail up here in Ontario as @FossilDAWG says since all we have are fragments. I hadn't even considered that those tubercules could have been possibly evidence of T. Grandis! Perhaps FossilDAWG's newfound Georgian sight makes your vision of Ontario that much more acute :D

It's a leap (I still think it may be a "busy" crinoid holdfast?), but I still think you should retrieve it if you can. Find it, keep it, bring it to your local university.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Ok back out of my driveway.. Now I'm gonna have to find another rock to take its place...:hammer01: Pm me your address and I'll send it to you. I know you just want it for you driveway;) You know this the second one I found almost identical that's what triggered me to ask the question. I'm gonna look for the other but I think it's long gone now......

23 hours ago, Stingray said:

22 hours ago, Monica said:

I love tardigrades - I think they're adorable!  Especially their common name: "water bears"!  So cute! :wub:

(For those of you not wanting to look up "tardigrades" - they are tiny invertebrate animals (they have their own Phylum: Tardigrada) that tend to live in moist areas such as moss - they are NOT bears!  But if you look up images of them you'll see the resemblence :))

The first time i saw a tardigrade the photo was very zoomed and i saw its nose. I believe it was the bag of a vacuum cleaner.:blush:

In memory of Doren