Sign in to follow this  
Raggedy Man

Mt. Orab Ohio

Raggedy Man

I was thinking about a end of the season hunt starting in the coal spoil piles in Indiana and heading east to Ohio ending in Pennsylvania. I have always wanted to hunt Mt. Orab by Cincinnati. My question is this: Is the area open to collection or do you need to be in a club and receive an invitation? I hear the chances for a complete Isotelus sp. is fairly high and would like to take a few(TFF) members with. 

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Paul

fossilcrazy

You are referring to a private leased quarry. I do know  the Buffalo Geological Society on September 22-25, 2016 is heading a field trip to there.

Raggedy Man
21 minutes ago, fossilcrazy said:

You are referring to a private leased quarry. I do know  the Buffalo Geological Society on September 22-25, 2016 is heading a field trip to there.

Thanks Fossilcrazy

Fruitbat

I don't know if this will give you any specific information, but you might find this article interesting:

Hunda, B.R., N.C. Hughes and K.W. Flessa (2006). Trilobite Taphonomy and Temporal Resolution in the Mt. Orab Shale Bed (Upper Ordovician, Ohio, U.S.A.). Palaios, Vol.21.

-Joe

hrguy54

All winter and spring I watched my Penn-Dixie newsletters for the announcement for their annual trip to Mt Orab. The announcement was never made and the trip to Mt Orab never happened.

Then, in May at the Cincinnati Gem & Mineral show I spoke to the owner of the "Trilobite Farm" and he told me the site has been more or less shut down....it had "dried up" .

The "vein" they had been working for so long had run out.

A very disappointing loss.