Tyrannosaurus rex In the Netherlands

LordTrilobite

Hello! Some of you may have heard the news. The Netherlands now has it's own T. rex and it was unveiled today!

This is the same T. rex that @chele and her husband found in Montana back in 2013.

After that it was dug up by a team of Naturalis the natural history museum in Leiden in cooperation with the Black Hills Institute. This museum also bought the T. rex. Around 5 million euros was crowdfunded to make this possible. The skeleton was prepared in the Black Hills Institute by Pete Larson and his team. The T. rex is of the robust morph and thus probably a female. The animal has been named Trix after our former queen Beatrix.

As of spetember 10th the skeleton will be viewable by the public for a time. As the museum is in the middle of a huge renovation the skeleton is temporarily housed in the only part that is open to the public now. I don't know the exact dates but the skeleton will go on tour and in 2018 the skeleton should get it's final resting place in the new dinosaur hall at the museum.

The staff of the museum got a preview before the unveiling (I'm a volunteer at the fossil prep lab) so I was lucky enough that I could take some photos. So without further ado. Some pictures...

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

I noticed that the pectoral girdle seems to be positioned really low compared to other reconstructions.

8.jpg9.jpg

Lastly a picture of one of the information panels. This shows how much of the skeleton is real. I've been told around 75% to 80% of the bone volume is present.

10.jpg

Some more information on this T. rex.

- The animal is now named Trix. After the former Dutch queen Beatrix.

- Trix is in the top 3 of best preserved T. rexes.
- The skeleton is of the robust morph. So it's probably female.
- This is the only T. rex skeleton in the world that is mounted with the real skull.
- The missing bones were 3d printed. Some mirrored versions of bones that were present. And some bones based on Sue, such as the feet.
- Trix was prepped in the Black Hills Institute.

- Trix is about the same size as Sue.

- There are a lot of pathologies. This includes T. rex bitemarks on the jaw and broken ribs.

- After this temporary exhibit and tour the skeleton will be permanently housed in the new dinosaur hall in Naturalis in Leiden.

Because it's some part news, part fossil hunting trip and part museum visit I figured it best fitted being in general discussion.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

More photos as well as some hand and feet closups that Troodon asked for. Though all of the arms and feet are casts from other T. rex material. I think the feet are cast from Sue.

18.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg

So nice to see this update on Chele's T-rex!

Glad it went to a good, appreciative home. :)

Thanks for posting this, Olof!

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Beautiful display.  I like the way they posed the mount versus a traditional one,  it also enabled them to use the real skull.  Nice to see that 3D printing was used to replicate bones and did not know that BHI was using that technology. 

Thanks for the pictures, great shots, additional information and your coverage of Trix

They didn't. All the casts were 3D printed here in the Netherlands at Naturalis and then sent to BHI.

Thanks so much for sharing!  Absolutely stunning!  I am so happy for the Dutch kids who are going to love this T.rex! :).    The mount is perfect, and allows little ones to stand face to face with her!   So awesome!  

Here are some more after hours photos. Half the lights were already off but it actually gives a nice contrasting look with the lighter background. :trex:

19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg

Very nice, like the shots without anyone around.  Thanks for the additional photos.

Did you ask if you could borrow her a few days :trex:

Edit: 

Oops forgot it's a she

Her actually, since it's the robust morph. Roughly the same size as Sue aswell I've been told. Though I haven't ever seen Sue in person.

And no, after a day's sandblasting Triceratops bones in the prep lab I popped by Trix in the adjacent hall at the end of the day when all the visitors were gone. Being in the hall alone with the remains of such a huge predatory animal is feels really kinda special.

Repaired the gender slip.   

Yes quite nice being alone with such a beast.  Better in this form than 66 million years ago in person.  Very relaxing..

Keep in mind that you'll need to get a ticket and timeslot in advance to get in. It's definitely worth seeing the skeleton in person though.

It is simply, a wonderful thing. I am pleased to have seen these photos, thank you.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you, Olof.  These images are a stunning look at Blaine and Chele's discovery.    :trex:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks again for keeping us informed and this time for the great photos. Larson and his crew did a fantastic job! I hope we hear from Chele and Blaine again. I'm curious as to what they're up to now.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Here are some more closeup pictures for those interested in the details.

Right foot. Cast from Sue I think.

23.jpg24.jpg

Right hand. Cast from a different rex though I don't know which.

26.jpg25.jpg

Left hand

27.jpg

Pubis right side. Pretty much all of the hips are original.

28.jpg

Ilium left side. This also nicely shows the 3D printed left leg (mirrored from the right) as it's slightly less detailed than the real bones.

29.jpg

Gastralis right side. I think roughly half the gastralia are real.

30.jpg

Detail of the back of the skull.

32.jpg

Detail of the large bone infection on the snout. I'm not sure but it looks like it goes all the way into the tooth cavity. This must have hurt terribly.

31.jpg

Hello everyone! I am sorry that I could not give any info or share pictures with you. Once the museum acquired the rex we could not share anything until the unveiling of Trix. So here is a photo of Blaine and I at a private showing a day before the public could view her. We had seen her assembled once before in Hill City last June. The trip to Holland was a fantastic time. Not only did we get to see our rex again, I also met up with some of my family I have not seen for many years. It was a very emotional time for me. The people in Leiden were awesome. We had signed a lot of autographs and had been in a lot of selfies with people. It was such an amazing trip.

IMG_8632.JPG

Chelebele

What an outstanding photo.  :)  Your story is a Forum legend...you should write a book, Chele.  It's good to hear from you and see you are doing well.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi,

Happy to see you again ! Us miss you !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 2 months later...
Another update on this T. rex. The 3D scans of the skeleton are now also viewable online.

Archived