Are These Bony Fish or Shark Vertebrae?

Paleoworld-101

From the Cretaceous marine Toolebuc Formation, Central Queensland, 100 million years old. The rocks they come from have a diverse range of both bony fish and sharks. When i collected them i just assumed they were fish, but now i'm thinking they could be shark? I can't see any bony projections off the centra that would make them fish, but they could have broken off of course. Any thoughts?

Vert 1

The last picture is of a second vert on the underside. 

vert 1-1.JPG

vert 1-2.JPG

vert 1-3.JPG

vert 1-4.JPG

Vert 2

vert 2-1.JPG

vert 2-2.JPG

vert 2-3.JPG

vert 2-4.JPG

vert 2-5.JPG

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

• 1 year later...

Hi Mike, Shark verts that I have seen from the Toolebuc tend to be really light, not solid bone around the edges, but is filled with lots of parallel segments of bone. Hope this helps.

Rod

You'd need to carefully clean around each one to see if there is any hint of the neural or hemal arches.  Even if they were perfectly sheared off, a shark or ray vertebra would bear just the openings where the arches would be on opposite sides because the centrum is partly bone so it can fossilize but the arches are cartilaginous and disintegrate not long after death.