Mosasaur Tooth

CreekCrawler

I have taken this matrix specimen down as far as I want to. I stopped because I like the results so far and really don't want to take a chance on damaging the piece.The enamel on the tooth is super fine and I have not touched it with any of the PVA mix I used to stabilize the rest of the piece. Early on before I started prepping on the piece I added some superglue to the crack in the tooth. The tip is perfect and the reverse side of the tooth is very nice. It would be nice to always find teeth that have not been river worn, but it doesn't always work out that way :)

thanks for lookin!

post-417-1243950365_thumb.jpg

post-417-1243950388_thumb.jpg

post-417-1243950411_thumb.jpg

That turned out to be a very nice specimen. I displays very well in the matrix.

Wow - better than any I have - how big?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wow - better than any I have - how big?

I'll have to measure that bugger when I get home.An informal field measurement" my back yard" :P I came up with 2 1/4" and that was just a quick glance.Should I do a straight line measurement, or follow the curvature of the tooth?

thanks

Ok , I measured the tooth from where the enamel ends and it's a 2 1/4 incher no matter how you slice it.

The width at the base where the enamel ends is 1 1/8" exactly.

Straight line for accuracy. Curvature is sort of cheating. Measuring up one side and down the other is definitely cheating.

Straight line for accuracy. Curvature is sort of cheating. Measuring up one side and down the other is definitely cheating.

Dang. My collection just got cut in half. :o

Man that came out nice; from good find to great display piece!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks great! Larger than any I've ever found.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Nice prep job! Sometimes I really preffer matrix specimens over the loose stuff. tells more of it's story. Gotta say though I really emphasize with the river wear problem.

post-1313-1243962432_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Yup, you're definitely the man of the month on finds!! It looks super awesome by the way. Thanks for the heads up on the rain by the way, it hit hard here and looks like we might get more.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

dude! probably time to stop collecting. i mean, that thing right there is the apex of existence, and the rest of life's gonna be anticlimatic.

well, maybe not. onward!

Thanks everyone, I seem to be a little more picky when I'm out and about now. It seems those two mosasaur finds are setting a standard for me that's hard reproduce, but not impossible :D

Thanks everyone, I seem to be a little more picky when I'm out and about now. It seems those two mosasaur finds are setting a standard for me that's hard reproduce, but not impossible :D

Oooooh!!! Barry has now been elevated to fossil snob :rolleyes: ! Well, you can just throw the things you don't deem worthy my way okay! Im still new enough that I pick up cr_ _ all the time. I have buckets and flower beds full of the stuff. I'll even chance your spider infested home and come pick them up! :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Well done, Barry! Could I trade some site "salting" work for your prep work?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Ok, the final measurement is 2 1/4 " to where the enamel ends at the base.

The width at the base where the enamel ends is 1 1/8"

thanks everyone for the compliments :)

WOW! That's bigger than I thought :o

You can stop collecting them now, 'cause you already have the best one ever!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You can stop collecting them now, 'cause you already have the best one ever!

Tell me about it :rolleyes: It's going to be hard to top that one,but it's out there! Just knowing that a find like this could be around the next bend is all the reason to "keep on truckin" :)