Dino Teeth Real?

FosselDumbDumb

42 minutes ago, FosselDumbDumb said:

I've collected a few dinosaur teeth specimens and I would like this community's input on whether or not they are real. You can view the teeth here: http://imgur.com/a/JZRCf

I would love any input!

I would like to add that the Carcharodontosaurus-saharicus tooth and the Elasmosaur tooth both came from Morocco. 

Yup all of those look real. Though due to the fragmantary nature of that Triceratops frill piece, it's hard to say for sure that it's indeed a piece of frill.

I'd also like to add that since that Elasmosaur tooth is from Morocco. It's likely Zarafasaura oceanis.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I agree with the others all real.  If you want us to have a better look at that frill section post it here.

I also would add that the Hell Creek Formation appears to have multiple Ceratopsian in it so to call your tooth Triceratops is not totaly accurate but many do.   It's a Ceratopsian tooth since you cannot tell them apart.

• I found this Informative 2

I agree with all...  the piece of frill looks legit.  Even smallpieces of ceratopsian frill can be identified as such by their general thinness, constant thickness (i.e. parallel top and bottom),  and by blood and nerve grooves on the surface.  

1 hour ago, jpc said:

I agree with all...  the piece of frill looks legit.  Even smallpieces of ceratopsian frill can be identified as such by their general thinness, constant thickness (i.e. parallel top and bottom),  and by blood and nerve grooves on the surface.  

Yes, good observations.

re frill.  Its easy to identify an obvious piece as being 'frill'. It's harder to be sure if some other piece 'isnt frill'.  Various Campanian aged ceratopsians had all sorts of weird protrusions.  I find the best variable is, as you mention, the blood and nerve grooves. 

• I found this Informative 1