HamptonsDoc

I'm flying out to the Denver show on Tuesday, can't wait!  What's everyone's impressions of it who has been there so far?  What memebers of TFF have booths there?

I will be going to the Denver Show next Saturday.  I have been numerous times.  Yes it is pretty big and there's always a lot of fun stuff to see.  

I use to have a booth at the fossil expo but quit about 15 years ago.  Too expensive.  But a lot of fun is to be had there.

RB

This year was not quite as exciting as last year, although I did go the first day. Lots of really nice dealers there this year. The new tent they added had some decent dealers as well.

But they did just announce that next year they are adding 150 dealers indoors, so next year will be a year to definitely go.

I did find some good deals on plant and vertebrate material. 

But the best stuff is very much so in the arena of the coliseum.

On September 15, 2016 at 2:20 PM, JohnBrewer said:

Photos anyone?

I just got back home a few hours ago and am changing my iPhone over to the 7 so I can't upload anything right now.  I'll post some pictures either tomorrow or Sunday!

Had a lot of fun at the show and saw some really cool things!

Here are some pictures from the Denver Show, as promised!

The main floor of the Coliseum... almost all fossils!

IMG_7090.JPG

Upstairs at the Coliseum... mostly jewelry 

IMG_7089.JPG

Some of the tents outside the Coliseum....  a mix of fossils and minerals mostly

IMG_7035.JPG

In a tent outside the Ramada

IMG_7041.JPGIMG_7042.JPGIMG_7043.JPG

One of the near 10 spino hand claws I saw for sale

IMG_7045.JPG

One of the nicer spino claws

IMG_7046.JPG

Xiphactinus! 

IMG_7003.JPG

Elephant Bird Egg

IMG_7018.JPG

Pterosaur 

IMG_7020.JPG

One of the many display cases of fossils for sale on the Coliseum floor

IMG_7021.JPGIMG_7022.JPG

Amazing Moroccan fossils from Sahara Overland!

IMG_6998.JPGIMG_6999.JPGIMG_7001.JPG

I think this was an Allosaurus claw.... can't remember as it was too expensive for me to even consider!

IMG_7023.JPG

IMG_7036.JPGIMG_7037.JPG

Lots of spino teeth!

IMG_7038.JPG

IMG_7089.JPG

IMG_7090.JPG

IMG_6998.JPG

IMG_6999.JPG

IMG_7001.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

I was there for a total of three hours... saw some good stuff and some incredible fakes... or enhanced fossils.  Esp in the Moroccan crocodile skull department, and a guy selling Washington State Fish, "sockeye salmon" that were supposed to look like fossils, but were obviously a cast of... maybe a Brazilian fish...?!  

I took no pix.  

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

That's a bird, not a pterosaur.

Oh yeah. Now I don't want it  :mellow:. Should have realised.... Doesn't look like one and in that preservation, well I don't think any museum has one.  I'll have to settle for the mossy jaw I guess  :D

13 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Oh yeah. Now I don't want it  :mellow:. Should have realised.... Doesn't look like one and in that preservation, well I don't think any museum has one.  I'll have to settle for the mossy jaw I guess  :D

The large mosasaur skull was only $50k. They had two, I'm sure if you bought both you'd get a good deal!

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Never attended the show always conflicts with my digging season but it looks interesting.  Thanks for sharing 

Troodon,

As you know, the Denver show has been considered a lesser highlight of the fossil show year than Tucson.  Collectors have gotten the impression that many dealers just bring what didn't sell at Tucson.  To some extent that's true but you will also see a different mix of dealers there, and to be fair, the collecting season in North America and Europe is just ending so many dealers have some fossil prep to do over the fall and early winter to get their new stuff ready for the Tucson show.

With all that said, I heard there was some other good stuff at the show.  It sounds like I missed a good Denver.  I used to go every year from the late 80's to the early 2000's - only been there a couple of times since.

Jess

12 hours ago, siteseer said:

Troodon,

As you know, the Denver show has been considered a lesser highlight of the fossil show year than Tucson.  Collectors have gotten the impression that many dealers just bring what didn't sell at Tucson.  To some extent that's true but you will also see a different mix of dealers there, and to be fair, the collecting season in North America and Europe is just ending so many dealers have some fossil prep to do over the fall and early winter to get their new stuff ready for the Tucson show.

With all that said, I heard there was some other good stuff at the show.  It sounds like I missed a good Denver.  I used to go every year from the late 80's to the early 2000's - only been there a couple of times since.

Jess

Jess 

I've heard better things about the show the last few years and it's one I need to check out.   My travel to collecting areas now takes me right through Denver so it's not that difficult if I can get the schedule to fall right.

Frank

Feedback from the show

Hear that the high end big dinosaur dealers did not have a good show, ditto NY/NJ show and have said they will not be returning.  It's not financially doable with the shows expenses.    Will see what transpires. This year already saw one major and a couple of smaller Dino dealer that attend Tucson not going to Denver.  

A friend of mine spoke to a high end Moroccan dealer about the possibility of an embargo on Vertebrate fossils.   The "connected" dealer said he does not believe anything will happen in the short term and if it does will be 5 years out or longer.  Will see what transpires. 

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Hear that the high end big dinosaur dealers did not have a good show

A lot of dealers had said this to me.  Some didn't have any sales at all some days.  This was good for me though.... I got my more expensive pieces from these shows at good prices.

I had a fantastic Denver show, but I sell small stuff, under $20.

Talking with the other dealers that sell the large pieces a slow show for them is not uncommon during election years. 

I have a different perspective on these shows since I have a regular 9 to 5 and do the Denver show as a hobby.

The number of visitors was up, the number of dealers was up, but sales were few and far between.

I came home with all 4 of my $1,000 + items, but none of my under $20 items.

Agreed I just collected with a dealer who also sell small budget items and he did great but has been reluctant to do Tucson since the show attracts big ticket buyers.

• I found this Informative 1

I have 3 pieces heading to Tucson with a friend. 2 fish panels and a 5 foot string of mosasaur vert.

I feel the same way, Tucson is such a high dollar show I would just embarrass myself.

Plus, I really enjoy talking with and sharing fossils with the kids that come. That's why I get a table.

• I found this Informative 1