Fossil find at Lake Benbrook, Tarrant County Texas

craigmontgomery

I don't think it is a trilobite. It does look like you could delicately chip away at some of the matrix to reveal more. It might be coral, but I'm not familiar with your area's geology. We'll wait for the locals to chime in on this one. 

I've also screen-capped it from the PDF and reduced the resolution so it can be posted here without download.

fossil1help.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Ok. so I can probably rule out coral, too. The closest I can match this is to crinoid just as @Guguita says, but I'm sifting through a visual database of Texas crinoids and nothing is perfectly matching up. I've also looked through the Handbook of Texas Cretaceous Fossils (Adkins, 1928), but with no luck :( 

Segments are too numerous to be ribbing on the ventral view of an ammonite or hamite. These segmented columns have me stumped...

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The rocks near Benbrook and the spillway are mostly lower Cretaceous Goodland Formation. You can rule out trilobites and probably crinoids since they are very uncommon in rocks younger than Permian.

Craig, take a better close-up photo of part of the fossil to help us with an ID. Bivalves seem right now to be the best guess. Note that the radial ribs seem to converge to the lower right of the photo. Ceratostreon texanum is my best guess. The growth lines seem a little too coarse for the pectin Neithea (bottom photo) which also occurs in the area. Let's wait for some locals to chime in.

Exogyra%20Texana[1].jpg

161Scallop[1].jpg

• I found this Informative 4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hi,

Yes ! Sure ! Perhaps Myliobatis.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi!

Coco:

Haven't myliobatids only appeared in the Late Cretaceous?

Regards,

22 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Yes ! Sure ! Perhaps Myliobatis.

Coco

Hi,

Oh Guguita ! I don't know (I didn't find pink emoticone...). I don't know the age of this fossil too... We have to see the other side of this mystery ! Please !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Not a trilobite, nor a Myliobatis mouth plate, I assume. There is no sepparation between the rows. The biserial crinoid arm elements are intercalated (succesive alternating layers). Also there is a continuity between the raws and an almost perfect alignment  between them. I'm leaning also to a bivalve shell fragment, possibly oyster, as Tarquin (TqB) and DPS Ammonite supposed it could be.

fossil1help.jpg.e89f39926cd750d95897eb0cd9b72d7e.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Here's another possible candidate that occurs in the Goodland Fm., Pholadomya (photo from North Texas Fossils website).

Does anyone have better close-up photos of the their own Ceratostreon texanum or Pholadomya  from the Goodland Fm. so that we can compare them to the photo that Abyssunder enlarged?

07-13-2008-026-800[1].jpg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Isn't it great when we can't say for sure if a specimen is echinoderm, mollusc or fish and nobody feels bad. This is a wonderful and honest forum.