Mississippi Cephalopods

-AnThOnY-

Whole ammonites are hard to come by here in Mississippi but I have managed to get a few over the last 5 years or so, and have recently started tracking down more rare species, even though they are only fragmentary.

All of these posted are from the Prairie Bluff Chalk except for one from the Chiwapa Limestone (Ripley Fm) which will be noted. Anyway, hope y'all enjoy!

Belemnitella americana:

Belemnitella americana.jpg

Discoscaphites gulosus/conradi:

Disco gulosus.jpgDisco conradi.jpg

Pachydiscus maconensis:

Pachy maconensis.jpg

Pachydiscus egertoni:

Pachy egertoni.jpg

Glyptoxoceras:

Glypto.jpg

Pseudophyllites indra:

Psuedophyllites indra.jpg

Unknown heteromorph (baculite maybe?): Second image is cross section.

2016-09-12 20.11.21.jpg2016-09-12 20.11.33.jpg

Pyritized ammonites (have to assume Discoscaphites sp?), with a potential heteromorph (maybe gastropod):

Pyrite group.jpgPyrite maybe ammo.jpg

Sphenodiscus lobatus: 1st Prairie Bluff, second Chiwapa Limestone. I may try to repair the first one as its the most complete one that I have found from the PB, and its easily 90+% complete

Spheno lobatus Kpb.jpgSpheno lobatus Kch.jpg

Eutrephoceras:

Eutrephoceras.jpg

Paleocene Eutrephoceras from a couple feet above the KT boundary in Starkville, MS

2016-09-13 16.31.19.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

You have done well. This is a heck of a collection! 

Prairie Bluff is quite an interesting formation...at least on paper for me. 

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Very nice!  Some of those specimens are in exceptional condition, and you have a nice assortment of the rarer species as well.  Have you tackled the Baculites species yet?  There are a few species in the Prairie Bluff, but most bits are hard to ID.  I did find one nice Trachybaculites as well.  However I only have fragmentary examples of the Discoscaphites and Hoploscaphites, nothing like your drool-worth beauties.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

19 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

You have done well. This is a heck of a collection! 

Prairie Bluff is quite an interesting formation...at least on paper for me. 

Still aiming for some complete Pachydiscus specimens! Slowly but surely getting there.

I can't say many negative things about the Prairie Bluff, its very high on my list. It probably makes up easily over 50% of my Mississippi species list. Ill get around to doing a post about gastropods at some point!

17 hours ago, doushantuo said:

VERRRRRRRRYYY neat collection.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Very nice!  Some of those specimens are in exceptional condition, and you have a nice assortment of the rarer species as well.  Have you tackled the Baculites species yet?  There are a few species in the Prairie Bluff, but most bits are hard to ID.  I did find one nice Trachybaculites as well.  However I only have fragmentary examples of the Discoscaphites and Hoploscaphites, nothing like your drool-worth beauties.

Don

I have yet to try and decode the Baculites. I have held onto a ton of them but have only labeled as far as Baculites sp?. Most of them don't show sutures well enough to ID 100% and I'm not sure how diagnostic the ribbing is. 

I just need to get some complete examples of the odder ammonites! :D

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice collection, Anthony! I have a number of bits and pieces and a few almost whole ammonites from the Ripley and Prairie Bluff in Alabama, but haven't tried to ID them yet. Your posting should help me along with that. Thanks. -- George

Very impressive indeed!  Assuming that the Eutrophoceras are redeposited in the Clayton?

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

It almost looks like the Paleocene one has wavy sutures. Could be Hercoglossa? (or my poor eyes). We have Aturia and Eutrephoceras in our Eocene but haven't found either in our Paleocene here in NC.

There is a Paleocene species of Eutrephoceras that occurs in the Beaufort Formation (Paleocene) in North Carolina:

BAILEY, R. H. 1976. Eutrephoceras (Nautiloidea) from the Paleocene Beaufort Formation of North Carolina. Tulane Studies in Geology and Paleontology, 12(4):235-242.

Don

• I found this Informative 2