Eastern NC Bone ID

AshHendrick

Found this in Pitt county, NC among sharks teeth (megs, tiger, Makko's), whale bone, turtle bone and some Croc teeth. Area is generally York Town formation but potentially has a little cape fear in there according to some topo maps I reviewed. I would like to know if it's possible to determine what part of the body the bone came from and also what species or at least a general idea of what sort of species, please. large.IMG_2211.jpglarge.IMG_2212.jpg

I really can't tell what species it is ,,,but its not from a marine critter because the inside dense cell structure looks more like some sort of terrestrial mammal...maybe a part of a foot bone ???....  IMHO  

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

That is pretty cool, it would be my first horse bone then! I was not expecting that and will be on the look out for more next time I go back! Thank you everyone, as always you are all very helpful and I greatly appreciate it! 

Also, phalanges from Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists - Elisabeth Schmid; Elsevier, New York, 1972.

Phalanges_Schmid1972_KnochenatlasDrawings_kleiner.jpg

Text_Phalanges_Schmid1972_KnochenatlasDrawings_kleiner.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library