RCW3D

I had a few hours that I could play today so instead of heading across the river to Purse State ark, I decided to stay closer to home and do some sifting in the Miocene section of the Potomac...and I'm glad that I did! I have to say that this was a pretty good learning trip for me, although I did pretty good, I definitely learned some more about my equipment. I headed down to the beach with my shark tooth sifter (like a sand flea rake) and my floating sifter with a shovel. I started with the shark tooth sifter and while it worked fine, I realized that it isn't the most efficient piece of gear to sift through a lot sand/gravel...so I broke out my floating sifter and shovel. I made this sifter myself after looking at what was out there, pretty standard job, 1/4 inch mesh, PVC frame, pool noodle for flotation...and the last item is where I made a mistake. While the water was calm, the sifter floated good enough...though I couldn't load as much as I wanted into it until it started to submerge. Things got pretty chaotic when the water started to get rough and I found myself trying to load the sifter and keep it steady while the rollers were trying to flip it constantly. Oh well, lesson learned...I still have more material left so I'll build another sifter with the larger pool noodle! :)

Here was the haul.

1.jpg

Nice croc tooth, a vert, and an unknown.

3.jpg

The vert and the unknown a little closer.

4.jpg

And the unknown again...anyone have any clue at what it is?

5.jpg

I uploaded this photo by accident, not sure how to delete it. 

2.jpg

Rob :D

Hi Bob,

That unknown might be a worn fish tooth plate ... I'm rolling the dice again ! haha.

Nice  teeth !! .. I wish I had a few hours to kill, teaching has started again so now I'm chained to the desk.

Cheers,

B

This was from Purse State park and posted in 2013.  Such a small piece you have too.

The one I found recently in Savannah, GA is from a drum fish.

FossilDrum_0830201602.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Yeah, it was tiny but as soon as I saw it I knew it was something...what it was exactly, I didn't know! LOL! A fish plate seems like a logical ID. 

3 hours ago, darctooth said:

I was I had as much free time as you do! Nice finds!:meg:

I'm making the most of it while I can since I know it will be coming to a screeching halt soon. Work is in a slow down right now which giving me some leeway to avoid being chained to my desk...and since it is still warm out, my wife and kids enjoy going to the river. Once the weather turns colder, they won't want to go which means my plans of fossil hunting will be changed to something they want to do.

Hey Rob,  this was also an interesting paper excerpt I have been staring at as well ... bony fishes of the Cretaceous.  Some really nice images.  Of course the images are from specimens out of Arkansas ? ... but they do discuss the formations and how they reach as far as the East Coast and as far north as NJ.  Dave .. you might be interested as well.

FIGURE-6-Phyllodontidae-Pycnodontidae-and-Enchodontidae-tooth-plates-and-teeth-from-the.png

FIGURE-5-Teleostei-incertae-sedis-skull-and-skeletal-elements-from-the-Clayton.png

FIGURE-4-Teeth-and-jaw-fragments-of-Pycnodontidae-Albulidae-and-Phyllodontidae-from.png

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/287982715_fig6_FIGURE-6-Phyllodontidae-Pycnodontidae-and-Enchodontidae-tooth-plates-and-teeth-from-the

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for that info Brett I will definatly check that out.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.