Eagle Ford,Cenomanian aged shelll or bone? Approx. 3/4" square.

claire01

Lots of interesting things going on in this approx. 7 x 4 inch piece I found this morning while walking the dogs.  Here are a couple more views:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like the cross section of a fish vertebrae to me as well. Also an echinoid underneath it with some interesting bits inside it.

• I found this Informative 2

I agree with AnThOny and Al Dente. In the third photo i think you have an ammonite (in the center). And on the second photo, at the upper left there might be another one. But i am newbie, so let's wait for other's opinion.

Nice finds.:ammonite01:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Not clearly visible in the pictures what is there, but considering that Eagle Ford Fm. contains also brachiopods, I would adventure in the possibility of a brachiopod section through the valves showing the spiralling lophophore in the middle.

brachanatomy.jpg

http://www.mcz.harvard.edu/Departments/InvertPaleo/Trenton/Intro/PaleoPage/Terminology&Morphology/Terminology&Morphology.htm#Brachiopoda

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 15 septembre 2016 at 9:41 PM, abyssunder said:

Not clearly visible in the pictures what is there, but considering that Eagle Ford Fm. contains also brachiopods, I would adventure in the possibility of a brachiopod section through the valves showing the spiralling lophophore in the middle.

brachanatomy.jpg

http://www.mcz.harvard.edu/Departments/InvertPaleo/Trenton/Intro/PaleoPage/Terminology&Morphology/Terminology&Morphology.htm#Brachiopoda

I can't see of what part you are speaking, could you show us, please ?:)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

I thought that the circled with red might be. (?)

image.jpg.d4ee6ebb60573b3eeba77a7f5d9d9446.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Clair, what part of the Eagle Ford Group did you find this in? There are 4 formations.

I think that the large feature in the lower right portion of your rock is a cross section of an Inoceramid because the thin shell has parallel prisms that are normal to the shell.

image.thumb.jpg.0260af69f15ce5994424189a6cca916a[1].jpg

The shell also shows a wavy form that could be that from the concentric ridges of an Inoceramid.

image.jpg.ce0c4da1792f05a3543f9da101c993ef[1].jpg

It is not a brachiopod because it is too big (about 4 inches according to your mention that the rock is 4 inches across). Most brachiopods in the North Texas Cretaceous rocks are 1 inch or less across. It is not an echinoid because most echinoid shells are show flat calcite cleavage and are not fibrous.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Beside the ammonite Abyssunder circled in red, on the right, i see a shape that make me think there may be another cephalopod.

It is a very rich plate (i hope this is the right word), full of interesting things.:envy:

In memory of Doren

Yes, I think so too!  And a couple of other features look promising as well. I'll try to carefully clean it up a little more and see what I find.  I'll post more pics if I manage to uncover anything interesting.  Thanks everyone for sharing your expertise, I appreciate it very much.

• I found this Informative 1