Fossilized pearl maybe? Or just a shell.

claire01

The rock it's imbedded in is approx. 1" x 2".   Cretaceous, Eagle Ford. It would be plausible to find one in this area, I'm just not 100% convinced and thought you guys might have an opinion. Thanks for any help. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi claire01!

In your picture I see a gastropod (blue rectangle in photo below) and something else (red circle in photo below).  As for what that something else is - I can't tell.  Would you be able to take zoomed-in pictures in bright sun?  A sharper image might help with identification.  Also, since you have it in hand, can you see anything of note on the object circled in red (e.g., a hinge line separating two shells, perhaps indicating a bivalve or brachiopod?)  Otherwise, prepping the specimen a bit might help uncover more evidence that might help with identification (if you feel comfortable prepping it - I'm still too nervous to take that job on myself :))

image.thumb.jpeg.62b066aedc23315bb64f146284c15520.jpeg

Monica

• I found this Informative 4

Thank you so much for having a look, Monica. I took a few more pics and I'm starting to lean toward not a pearl. I've prepped as much as I'm comfortable with and it's starting to not look as round as perhaps it should. I don't see anything that looks like a hinge to me, though. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi claire01. I agree with Monica's ID, and i think that the second one is also a gastropod.:)

• I found this Informative 5

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I agree the new images show a gastropod.  Good to see you back on the boards, Claire. :)

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Not a pearl but a nice little gastropod. :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't know if this is in good english, but i welcome your coming back on that forum.:trilowalk:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 2:06 AM, fifbrindacier said:

Hi claire01. I agree with Monica's ID, and i think that the second one is also a gastropod.:)

me too.i see a sprual shape.

Keep looking! They're everywhere!