Raggedy Man

A couple weeks back I took a trip to SE Mn to search for the rest of a Brachyaspsis sp. trilobite I found back in July. I new my quest was difficult and almost an impossible one, but I took a chance. I had made plans with @fossilized6s to meet up with @Bev and @papadave for his first Mn hunt. His goal as was mine, was to hunt for and find trilobites. Even if I didn't find the rest of my trilobite, I would still be in good company. I arrived Friday(a day before fossilized6s) around 9am and headed straight for my site. After locating the spot I found my piece back in July, I mapped out a grid in the area I thought would cover the best ground. It became apparent after several hours under the hot sun that my attempt was futile so I stopped and just walked around looking for other traces of trilobites. About an hour later, I started walking back up to gather my tools and take down my grid. As I approached the boarder of my grid, I looked down and a shape in a rock triggered excitement. There it was!!!! However, it wasn't the piece I was hoping for. The piece that I thought might be whole was in fact 2 or 3. I took a picture and ran back to the TARDIS..err truck, and fit the piece on. The piece fit absolutely perfect with no gaps or damage. I marked the spot it was found for future attempts. The photos of the site contain information that could expose its location so they will not be published in this report. The first photo is of the piece I found on Friday. The next 2 photos are of the piece I found in July. The last photo is of the two fitted together.This piece gives me the left eye, thoracic segments and the rest of the left cheek. Oh, and in case if anyone is wondering...Yes you can bet Ill be back later this year for the rest! 

Measurements are in CM

Brachyaspsis sp.

Elgen Member-Maquoketo Formation

Upper Ordovician

SE Minnesota

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

...I'm back.

As told here, the rest of my trip with Charlie and Bev. A few of my finds are below. The trilobite pygidium that is with the gastropod is interesting in regards to its preservation. I have an idea on what it might be, but if im wrong, feel free to correct me.

Eobronteus lunatus

Galena Formation

Ordovician-SE Mn 

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

...I'm back.

2 hours ago, smt126 said:

Some real nice finds. Its a good thing gas is so cheap these days.

Plenty of ways around expensive petro. A rubber hose, bucket and a mint....:yay-smiley-1:

LOL

...I'm back.

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Sounds as if you were in good company!

Hey, Minnbuckeye, perhaps next time you can join us!  :D

Thanks Raggedy Man for posting these pics. It was a long shot that you found that piece of your trilobite after a couple of months and many torrential rains! :fistbump::yay-smiley-1:

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

On 9/16/2016 at 8:27 AM, Bev said:

Hey, Minnbuckeye, perhaps next time you can join us!  :D

Thanks Raggedy Man for posting these pics. It was a long shot that you found that piece of your trilobite after a couple of months and many torrential rains! :fistbump::yay-smiley-1:

I agree and am still amazed!

...I'm back.

Cephalopod I pieced back together that I also found while in SE MN. Now on the prep shelf for further work.

Galena Formation

Ordovician

SE Minnesota

20160909_104131_resized.jpg

20160913_105521_resized.jpg

...I'm back.

1 hour ago, Raggedy Man said:

Cephalopod I pieced back together that I also found while in SE MN. Now on the prep shelf for further work.

Galena Formation

Ordovician

SE Minnesota

20160909_104131_resized.jpg

20160913_105521_resized.jpg

From here, it looks like your cephalopod is likely the siphuncle only. Am I mistaken?? If so, this would have come from one of our large cephalopods.Also, give me a heads up when out this way so I can help your finds be a little more productive. your message was too late to respond to.

3 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

From here, it looks like your cephalopod is likely the siphuncle only. Am I mistaken?? If so, this would have come from one of our large cephalopods.Also, give me a heads up when out this way so I can help your finds be a little more productive. your message was too late to respond to.

I was going to let you know I would be in the area, but I figured I would stop at the other sites and confirm their existence. When scouting unfamiliar areas I am a suckered for going alone and learning from mistakes. I would of been ok with driving 3.5 hours and not finding a crumb, but slipping into that dense stinging nettle patch didn't help...lol. Trip report on that will come tomorrow.  

Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely take you up on it the next time I plan a trip there. Hopefully it will some time towards the end of October. 

I believe you're correct about the cephalopod, but if not someone can correct us.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

On 9/18/2016 at 7:16 PM, minnbuckeye said:

@minnbuckeyeHow can you tell it is the siphuncle only? I would consider this an internal mold of a cephalopod - but of course I will bow to your superior knowledge.  :-)  I am always open to learning something new!

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

You should go look for the rest of that cephalopod too next time you're up there :P. I always thought it'd be cool to put up a 6 foot cephalopod in the house. I'm not sure how my wife would feel about it, but the kids would love it too

5 hours ago, piranha said:

Eobronteus lunatus is a very nice rare find.  With luck you might find a complete specimen:

IMG1.jpg

Thanks for the image Piranha and correction on spelling. I'll be heading back to that spot.

...I'm back.

3 hours ago, darctooth said:

Thanks for sharing this with us!:trilo:

Thanks for taking the time to look! I love sharing our finds with those who appreciate them as much as we do.

...I'm back.

2 hours ago, smt126 said:

You should go look for the rest of that cephalopod too next time you're up there :P. I always thought it'd be cool to put up a 6 foot cephalopod in the house. I'm not sure how my wife would feel about it, but the kids would love it too

I have the majority of it. If there's more it wouldn't fit properly. The end was sticking out and I'm sure it's eroded.

...I'm back.

6 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm kind of jealous, Eobronteus has long been on my "bucket list" and I have never found so much as a fragment.

Don

The funny part is I was told this site wasn't known for producing trilobites. Fossilized6s found several Thaleops sp. cephalons as I was splitting the rock that yielded this. I have since upgraded the site from occasional hunt to hit it every time I'm there.

...I'm back.

Archived