Dinosaurs

Hi everyone- Does anyone know if there are any rappelling trips in the U.S. or Internationally to see fossils? also does anyone know if one can rappell down a cliff face to view the K-T boundary? I know its exposed and visible in Raton Basin, Raven Ridge and Trinidad Lake State Park but has anyone done rappelling on a fossil hunt? looking for a combo of fossil hunting, excavation and adventure! Any really super adventurous fossil hunting trips advise will be appreciated. thanks.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I am unaware of any such,... um....  "super adventurous" opportunities.  :head scratch:

Almost sounds like a premise for a reality TV show.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi there! Very new here! any help appreciated - Looking for a super adventurous fossil hunting location thats very active. A thought was rappelling down a cliff face to view the K-T boundary and then something along those lines with fossil hunting / excavations and digging, Anything currently going on now in the U.S. and the world?  

Can anyone give me good suggestions? Thanks!! 

@Dinosaurs

Hi, your topics have been merged.  You can add replies in the text box below.  All members will see this topic in their unread content.  ;)  Welcome to TFF.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Oh thats terrific- the more people who see this the better :) Would appreciate anyone's advise... Will wait for the more adventurous ones to read this.  thanks.

I'm taking a group out to a KT site this weekend. 'Dry Island Buffalo Jump' has  extensive cliffs where natives for millenia drove herds of Bison over the edge (literally over the KT boundary) to their doom.  However, easier just to find strategic spots to free climb up and down. Better to not be burdened with any type of climbing equipment when accessing these areas.

The same in most areas of our Rockies to the west...fossils and technical climbing don't really mix. Fossils tend to be found in scree slopes rather than the sheer formation cliffs the debris is falling from. 

Some already have read this.  ;)  Keep in mind that most fossil hunts are full of adventure, danger, and excitement...but, they are not necessarily guided excursions. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

32 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Some already have read this.  ;)  Keep in mind that most fossil hunts are full of adventure, danger, and excitement...but, they are not necessarily guided excursions. 

I think a few of us have definitely had all three (adventure, danger, excitement), be it on treacherous inclines, poisonous critters, raging waters, losing vital supplies, being stranded, and even rock/mud slides! I know one dedicated collector who busted his ribs when losing his footing high up on a steep slope. Nothing quite rolls it all together - mountaineer, hiker, rugged naturalist, excavator - like fossil collecting!

Of course, there is also something to be said about the leisurely, non-treacherous stroll on a crisp, sunny autumn day doing some light surface collecting, the only adrenaline rush coming from encountering that impeccable specimen that almost seemed it was placed there for you to find it. :) 

I do hope an adventure-seeker on here will be in touch with the OP; sounds like a lot of fun!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks so much guys. Keep it coming. Specific places too.... open to ideas in the United States and Globally.

Anyone know of active digs going on in the next few months? I know the digging season has ended in most of the U.S,  since we are approaching the colder months. But anyone know of digs in warmer climates?  

Hi @Dinosaurs - check the fossil hunting trips thread. At the moment, there are a few planned digs posted. None of them involve high-flying hi-jinx, but they might satisfy the fossil collecting portion of your personal programming :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Here is the link for caving and fossil hunting ........in NY

http://www.necaveconservancy.org/preserves/bensons_preserve.php

http://www.necaveconservancy.org/preserves.php?state=NY

Recommendation,

Some of these caves have fossils however collecting them is probably not allowed take pictures and leave no trace having said that if something has eroded out of the wall and going to be stepped on anyway probably no harm in picking that up......

Archived