Embedded in Sandstone

subuta

Welcome to the Forum, Dan. :)

Unfortunately, the picture is quite blurry. 

Also, there is nothing for scale in the picture. 

Any chance of better pictures and measurements?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you for getting back to me.   It is probably 4" - 6" long and 1" - 1-1/2" high. Here is a second photo that retains slightlyy more clarity when zoomed.  

We also found a curious metal artefact.  Do you happen to know where I could go for help identifying that?

Arch Fossil.jpg

Arch.jpg

Hi and welcome to TFF :yay-smiley-1:!

What's the age of the layers ?

It resembles a clypeasteroid, but further info is needed for an accurate Id, IMO.

Regards,

Thanks very much for your response.  Are the questions going to get harder?:)  I have started reading about the rock in that area, but I don't know enough yet to be able to take a guess at its age.

Arrowheadology, ...  for any artifact finds, ... although some people here know their artifacts. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Twist my rubber arm. :)

It is maybe 2-1/2" tall.  It seems to be iron but we haven't taken a magnet to it yet (my friend in Tennessee has it). It is oval but almost circular in cross section, and the edges look like it might have been cast in a two piece mold.  We found it at the mouth of a substantial rock shelter in Overton County, Tennessee.  It is in two pieces but they fit together nicely.

Metal Artefact.jpg

So my guess would be part of an old Viking boat or wood structure that's petrified. 

Im just using my imagination.. 

Mitch could be anything!!! But the metal looks to be compacted iron. 

I would leaning to differential erosion in limestone, like in karst regions, but also a good place for wasp nests (even my balcony, as I saw). :D

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 hours ago, old bones said:

Puts me in mind of 'dirt dauber' nests.

That was my thought as well until I saw the described scale. 1 to 1.5 inches wide would make for one monster wasp :)

Could your friend in Tennessee take more photos of the second item? (@op)

Yes, more sharp/close pictures of the 1st unknown would be fun to look at and might provide an answer.

My first guess on the 2nd unknown was maybe artisia plant remains but under closer inspection I'm gonna go with the remains of a small rugose type coral instead. Its upside down in your picture relative to its original growth position. Would be fun to know how it was found...laying on its side/upright, etc. It's partial vase like shape seems to show the small rectangular internal coralline structure and the yellowish/red color is probably due to iron/limonite staining. I would guess there might be other marine invertebrate fossils in the vicinity of where this came from...The Geologic map of the county looks to show the rocks are Mississippian in age...a mere 320-360 million years old.  Looks like an interesting place to hunt for rocks and fossils. 

Regards, Chris 

Unknown highlighted.jpg

Geologic Timescale http://www.geosociety.org/science/timescale/timescl.pdf

Tennessee geologic map showing Overton county.jpg

Tennessee Geologic Map https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/environment/images/geology_geologic-map-lg.jpg

Hi Plantguy,

Thanks for the message and the information.  The property where we found these is on the Cumberland Plateau near the Fentress County line, so I suspect the rock is Pennsylvanian sedimentary.  I think, though, that there is limestone under the sandstone.

As for the rugose coral, you may be right.  I looked at some photos and I see what you mean, although the scoring in the photos I found seems to be vertical, not rectangular.  I see the resemblance to the Artesia, too.

I found the two pieces lying on the ground a few inches apart.  My friend found a nice looking small shell nearby.  We assumed it was recent, but we will take another look.

-Dan

On 9/15/2016 at 4:58 PM, subuta said:

Twist my rubber arm. :)

It is maybe 2-1/2" tall.  It seems to be iron but we haven't taken a magnet to it yet (my friend in Tennessee has it). It is oval but almost circular in cross section, and the edges look like it might have been cast in a two piece mold.  We found it at the mouth of a substantial rock shelter in Overton County, Tennessee.  It is in two pieces but they fit together nicely.

Metal Artefact.jpg

Artisia/cordaite wood immediately came to mind. The horizontal banding is characteristic of Artisia:

post-6808-0-76082600-1336084009.jpg

And the vertical linear features appear similar to filled fractures I've seen in wood:

post-6808-0-68285100-1336084005.jpg

Context is critical.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Plantguy,

Thanks for the message and the information.  The property where we found these is on the Cumberland Plateau near the Fentress County line, so I suspect the rock is Pennsylvanian sedimentary.  I think, though, that there is limestone under the sandstone.

As for the rugose coral, you may be right.  I looked at some photos and I see what you mean, although the scoring in the photos I found seems to be vertical, not rectangular.  I see the resemblance to the Artesia, too.

I found the two pieces lying on the ground a few inches apart.  My friend found a nice looking small shell nearby.  We assumed it was recent, but we will take another look.

-Dan

Here is another one we found within a few yards.  I call this one the chicken bone.  It is surprisingly smooth and cylindrical.magnify_2016-09-21_07-23-30-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dan, 

Well, I'm not sure what the chicken bone is...may be a cast of something but maybe just an unusual shaped rock. Looks kind of well worn as if its been tumbled around in a stream or creek. 

I'm gonna defer to/agree with Missourian on the ID as Artisia. He knows his stuff and I'm wrong--should have stuck with my first idea...LOL.  I ran across some of my invert fossil stash in the garage today and took a look at a couple of the inverts I had again with some of the rectangular shapes...took a couple pictures to show you how I was thinking but..... 

Keep finding things! 

Regards, Chris 

Rectangular structures in inverts.jpg

Weathered Solitary coral.jpg

Archived