alpena, michigan

dalmayshun

I am on my annual trip to northern wisconsin and the U.P. of michigan, ( the newberry area where I pick up nodules and find trilobites etc. ) This year it looks like I may be able to head over to alpena, and area I know has a great fossil reputation, but I have no idea where to hunt. I really don't have the time to research and ask permission for quarries, so I wondered if anyone knows of some public hunting areas around. I would much appreicate it.  

I had fun collecting in Alpena a few years ago when a wedding brought me to the area. Try Rockport Quarry (not an active quarry, but public) for an endless supply of fossils. My nicest finds were at the back of the quarry along the exposed ledges. The exposed fossils are quite weathered but this give them a very unique and beautiful look. It is a long walk so take two buckets to balance you out coming back. Do not spend time at the spoils pile at the parking lot. Not much there other than a nice lookout at the top. Would love to see your finds when you return!

• I found this Informative 4

• 8 months later...