Sign in to follow this  
piranha

Riccardo Levi-Setti Donates Famous Trilobite

piranha

Unfortunately the video commentator mispronounces Dr. Levi-Setti's name twice! :o 

LINK 1

LINK 2

Fossildude19

A classic fossil, returned to it's home. :wub:

Excellent story!

Thanks for the links, Scott! :D

Regards,

sjs500360540-high-jpg.jpg

Image from story.

piranha

According to the reporting in this article, AMNH offered $10,000 to donate it there.

It's refreshing to know that sometimes money is valueless.  Well handled... Bravo!

Kane

That certainly demonstrates integrity and a healthy comprehension of the paleontological value of this specimen as opposed to the merely pecuniary advantage. Very laudable.

piranha

Here is another video with Dr. Levi-Setti and the article from CBC:  LINK

Malcolmt

Thumbs up for the Dr. An amazing specimen.. However I am actually a bit conflicted having it back in Newfoundland makes it less available for people to see . If it was on display and not just hidden away at the AMNH t would get far more viewers. Interesting delema

piranha
6 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Thumbs up for the Dr. An amazing specimen.. However I am actually a bit conflicted having it back in Newfoundland makes it less available for people to see . If it was on display and not just hidden away at the AMNH t would get far more viewers. Interesting delema

I'm glad it wasn't a dilemma for Dr. Levi-Setti.  He seemed quite pleased to return it to its place of origin.  

Score a very nice victory for the underdog!  The Manuels River Hibernia Interpretation Centre:  LINK

Plantguy

Hey Scott, thanks for the links, quite a specimen! Dr. Levi-Setti has been educating us and showing us great bugs for a very long while. I'm dating myself a bit but when his book Trilobites, A Photographic Atlas came out back in 1975 I had to have it-I imagine I've forgotten most everything I ever learned and saw but I do remember I had to have a Phacops (old name) from the Silica Shale after seeing the photos of those eyes on those critters!! Still fascinated by those things! Thanks for drawing up those memories and seeing this particular fossil go home...very neat!

Regards, Chris 

Raggedy Man

An amazing story with a fabulous end. Thanks for sharing thus Piranha!