Fossil tube or coral found in Granbury Texas

craigmontgomery

Not seeing any textures here to say it is coral. It may actually be an ichnofossil, a burrow filled in with sediment. We'll see what the others say.

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree it is not coral.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Sorry.....:(   I'm not seeing anything that would indicate this is being a coral to me either.  

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Hi craigmontgomery!

I agree with the others - I don't see any indication that what you have is a coral (e.g., I can't see any individual corallites - the skeletons that were secreted by the individual coral polyps).  However, I think I may be seeing tiny holes covering your specimen (I've cropped your pictures - see below):

Close-up of your first image: IMG_1336.JPG.b596e34929f6f4b2a61c282f75daf2ee.JPG

Close-up of your second image: IMG_1337.JPG.f64deca877653b61e6ce9b28ba6331c6.JPG

Since you can see your specimen better than I can - can you see tiny holes covering it?  If so, you may have an encrusting bryozoan covering something (the "something" could have been alive at one point, or not alive - I don't think that bryozoans were/are particularly picky about what they stick to :)).  The tiny holes would have been where the individual zooids once resided.

Monica

• I found this Informative 2