Cone-In-cone concretion?

Cari Anne

Hi again!  Here are the other two items I found (NW PA, along coast of Lake Erie) that I mentioned in my previous post:

Item #1:  Approx 2" x 2.5"  I did some research and I think this is an example of cone-in-cone concretion maybe?

IMG_1390-2.JPG

Item #2:  Approx 9" x 5", I liked this because it had two things going on.  I think the one section is cone-in-cone concretion, not sure about the other section?

IMG_1391-2.JPG

Thank you for taking a look at my samples! 

Cari

Hi Cari!

I think your first item is indeed a cone-in-cone concretion (at least it looks like some specimens in other posts that people have identified as cone-in-cone concretions!).

As for what you have on the left of your second item (an example indicated in blue in the photo below) - I think it might either be (a) branching bryozoans or (b) ichnofossils (e.g., trace fossils, perhaps the burrows used by little crawly things in the past).  Can you see tiny holes in the branching structures?  If so, then I'd be pretty confident that they are bryozoans, because that's where the individuals of the colony (the zooids) used to live.

Monica

IMG_1391-2.JPG.d6a51a355cc9eadabdafb3f11c4c9096.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Nice cone in cone with ichnofossils - Chondrites kind of thing. (Search images of "Chondrites ichnofossil" otherwise you'll get a load of meteorites!) 

Tarquin

I agree. Nice cone-in-cone structures. Documentation on details available for example in this thread :

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you everyone for your help with these specimens, much appreciated!  Going to read the cone-in-cone thread now abyss under, thanks again! :)

Cari