Moroccan Phacops Trilobite

Bree

Hi :)  I have just begun collecting fossils and I still have a lot of trouble telling the difference between what is real and what is fake. I am thinking about purchasing a Moroccan Phacops Trilobite (picture below)  and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice as to it's authenticity. Thank you 

triolbite.jpg

triolbite 2.jpg

triolbite 3.jpg

The devil is in the details. Ask for better close-up photos, including the eyes. Note the crude scratches surrounding the trilobites in comparison to the nearly perfect trilobite. The scratched surface sometimes covers up the contact where a phony trilobite is set into a rock with a carved hole in it. Beware.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Not everything needs to be fake,if you don't see what you usually see:there is e.g. a specimen known of Nephalicephalus beebei with three enlarged thoracical rings.

That's a known as a teratology,a developmental aberration. 

Best of all is knowing the subject matter.Any thesis or journal article will provide plentiful details(to an annoying degree of exactitude:P)of the morphology of a genus .

http://www.senckenberg.de/files/content/forschung/projekte/igcp-596/cronier_francois_2014.pdf

(Posting this article because it might give clues to things like facies control,biogeography,etc)  

3 hours ago, Bree said:

I'll give the link 

Please, ... post pictures from the website here directly, rather than posting a Link to the website. 

We'd like to keep the Forum free of any legal entanglements. :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here are the larger versions of the thumbnail images.

IMG1.jpg IMG2.jpg

The seller's name: "Phacops corconspectans" is false.  

That name has never been assigned to any trilobite.

The trilobite is a common Moroccan phacopid: Drotops megalomanicus 

Some parts have been restored. It's a typical average grade specimen.

This example is priced fairly as a decent representation of the species.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Archived