Maybe a baby platybelodon tooth?

Callistenes

Well...it definitely looks like one of the amebelodontids and, if it comes from China, it could easily be Platybelodon.  Based on size and wear (or lack of wear), it would not be unreasonable to think that it came from a juvenile animal.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Nice samples of teeth could be found in the comprehensive guide of the Middle Miocene Platybelodon material from the Linxia Basin (famous for its abundance of fossils of Platybelodon), so here it is : The gomphotheriid mammal Platybelodon from the Middle Miocene of Linxia Basin, Gansu, China - SHIQI WANG, WEN HE, and SHANQIN CHEN.pdf

The gomphotheriid mammal Platybelodon from the Middle Miocene of Linxia Basin, Gansu, China - SHIQI WANG, WEN HE, and SHANQIN CHEN_1.jpgThe gomphotheriid mammal Platybelodon from the Middle Miocene of Linxia Basin, Gansu, China - SHIQI WANG, WEN HE, and SHANQIN CHEN_2.jpgThe gomphotheriid mammal Platybelodon from the Middle Miocene of Linxia Basin, Gansu, China - SHIQI WANG, WEN HE, and SHANQIN CHEN_3.jpgThe gomphotheriid mammal Platybelodon from the Middle Miocene of Linxia Basin, Gansu, China - SHIQI WANG, WEN HE, and SHANQIN CHEN_4.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

So to ask the obvious,  are teeth excluded from the law of fossils banned from leaving China?  I see items on "our favorite auction site" quite often that just say fossil mammal tooth from China and they don't state from what creature.  Is there an age cut off or are the items in the listings going to basically get stopped at customs?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Although I'm not a seller but I know that seller, I think, considering that they are undetermined/not labelled teeth specimens (no specific data), their paleontological value is not considered to be relevant, so could be passed and sold for educational purposes. (?)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived