chg057

TFF,

After about 10 months, I am finally scheduling myself to make another trip to western Kansas next week - 8/27-8/30. I am conducting field work for my master's thesis which focuses on outcrop modeling and interpretation of Niobrara fracture systems using a drone. I feel fortunate that one of my field areas is famous for its abundance of preserved Cretaceous fauna. 

While I'm out there, I figured I would try to make an effort to visit some well-known fossil localities that have public access or find private landowners that are also enthusiastic about fossils. Previously, I was lucky enough to find a near-complete Cimolichthyes jaw and some other large fish vertebrae. I know I can re-visit that same site in an effort to find other fossils but I thought I would reach out to Kansas veterans to see if anyone else has suggestions of locations to visit. 

From reading some of the other threads, it sounds like Castle Rock is a fairly popular destination for public hunting, but I have a feeling after all these decades that there might be other spots that have been less picked-over. 

I'm looking to find anything and everything but would especially like to find a few teeth. I have relatively little diversity in my current fossil collection. 

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance!

I am quite familiar with the area and I can tell you that while there is public access to Castle Rock, the private owner does not encourage any digging. Surface collecting is fine, but you are not likely to find much. All the other outcrops are on private land and good luck finding the owners as there are significant distances between houses and many owners live elsewhere. I have access to a couple of spots because I have relatives in the area, who only allow family on their land. It really is not a simple thing to come in and collect. It gets a little tougher every year. Dave

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Castle Rock said:

I am quite familiar with the area and I can tell you that while there is public access to Castle Rock, the private owner does not encourage any digging. Surface collecting is fine, but you are not likely to find much. All the other outcrops are on private land and good luck finding the owners as there are significant distances between houses and many owners live elsewhere. I have access to a couple of spots because I have relatives in the area, who only allow family on their land. It really is not a simple thing to come in and collect. It gets a little tougher every year. Dave

Dave is correct and it's a shame so many land owners are so close minded.

Last time I was in KS, I spent 3 days tracking down land owners to obtain permission to hunt on their lands and was denied by all. I received several different excuses, but the big one was just absurd. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.