Another NJ Brook Unknown

wetwilly

Hi,

I was thinking this was an ammonite fragment or maybe a piece of H. Gabri (or am I way off  - again).  Then I saw some details that might help with an ID.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jpg_20160919165259-1.jpg

Jpg_20160919165451-2.jpg

Jpg_20160919165549-3.jpg

Jpg_20160919165641-4.jpg

Jpg_20160919165843-5.jpg

Jpg_20160919165926-6.jpg

Bill

I'm stumped......:head scratch::head scratch::head scratch:

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

You definitely have a knack for finding the specimens that make for a mystery! That pustular texture is really interesting. I can't make it out in the photos very well, but it seems to appear in various areas on this one.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'm torn between bryozoans (the glaciers brought fossils from a lot of older eras to the brooks) or crustacean. I'm leaning toward crustacean but the texture doesn't match Hopalaria.

2 hours ago, wetwilly said:

I'll bring it to ram on the 9th . Maybe that will shed some light. 

Yup! :) That should do it!

Edited: I actually wanted to see this "in hand" so that should be perfect!

• 1 year later...

It's a Cretaceous concretion with bryozoans attached to it.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

3 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

It's a Cretaceous concretion with bryozoans attached to it.

Close, but I'd say its a piece of bivalve steinkern ( or possibly ammonite) with impressions of bryozoan attached.   I've seen similar bryozoan on many inverts including ammonites. The bryozoans attached to the shells before dissolution.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

On 6/22/2018 at 8:35 PM, non-remanié said:

Close, but I'd say its a piece of bivalve steinkern ( or possibly ammonite) with impressions of bryozoan attached.   I've seen similar bryozoan on many inverts including ammonites. The bryozoans attached to the shells before dissolution.

Yeah, that seems like it. The shell-like surface you are talking about which is opposite the bryozoan side can be seen in pic 3, right? I have a definite concretion with a bryozoan impression on it, so I guess they sometimes cling to stones too.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I'm with @non-remanié 100% - I've found things just like this before. In fact, a close look at many of the steinkerns from the brooks will show these bryozoan impressions.