What type of air compressor, air scribe, etc will I need

Seaworm1982

What size type air compressor for working with matrix fossil and noodles. New so do know what size tank I need, cfm, psi and air scribe. I'm looking at CP 9361 and 6 gal 150 psi compressor but is 1/3hp good?

Always been fascinated with with fossil. Now I really want to get into it!

Scribe 

1. What Scribe should I buy? I would like to work on matrix chiseling The Rock exposing fossil. CP 9361 or CP 9160

Air compressor 

2. I live in the country so noise wouldnt be an issue for me, however will a 6 gal 150 psi 1.5HP work fine? Whats most important when it comes to compressors?

Where to buy Fossils 

3. Hear fake fossil storys on ebay so where can buy?

Seaworm, 

I've merged your topics. 

Sometimes, answers take a while, as the people who could answer them may not be online all the time.

Give it another 24 hours, and then, if you still haven't received any replies, then feel free to give THIS THREAD a "bump".

Sometimes, posting in the middle of the night is not ideal. 

Most of your questions have already been answered in previous threads. (We've been here a while. ;)  )

While waiting for replies, you could search the Forum for topics that are similar to yours. 

You may be surprised at what you find here. 

Good luck. :) 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Also,  my basic rule of thumb is to go cheap to begin with, if you are inexperienced at prepping. 

You need to know that this is something you enjoy doing and are doing well at,  before making any major investments into equipment.

Regards, 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

55 minutes ago, Seaworm1982 said:

Always been fascinated with with fossil. Now I really want to get into it!

Scribe 

1. What Scribe should I buy? I would like to work on matrix chiseling The Rock exposing fossil. CP 9361 or CP 9160

Air compressor 

2. I live in the country so noise wouldnt be an issue for me, however will a 6 gal 150 psi 1.5HP work fine? Whats most important when it comes to compressors?

Where to buy Fossils 

3. Hear fake fossil storys on ebay so where can buy?

1. The 9361 or an Aro style scribe are good to start. The 9361 is more powerful so it will remove matrix faster but it isn't good for detail work. I use both.

2. It's better to err big than small with a compressor. SCFM and tank size are most important. I would recommend a 6 scfm compressor with a ~20 gallon tank. This will allow the compressor to cycle without you having to stop work to let it catch up. Anything smaller will require work stoppage periodically.

3. I don't buy fossil so I can't help you here.

Tim's advise is very valid. Before you drop a bunch of money, make sure you want to do this. The compressor and scribe are just part of the mechanized preparation set up. Eventually, you'll want a dust collection system, micro abrasive system, a work cabinet, a microscope, lighted magnifying lens, etc... it adds up to $$$$$ really fast! I started with a small hammer, some 3" sheetrock screws, an Exacto knife, and a magnifying visor.

12 hours ago, Seaworm1982 said:

I'm looking at Harbor Freight

6 gal.

1.5 hp

2.5 cfm @ 90 psi 

would this compressor get me by for now?

It will work but you will have to stop every couple minutes to let the compressor catch up. I used to use a compressor of that size and my only complaint was that I had to stop more often than I desired.

This is the compression I use also make sure you get an in line water separator which ever model you use..

As for buying fossils I do not do that either so I can not provide insight on that.

I don't have an air scribe yet I have a blast cabinet for for my detail I use a dremel but I hope to get one soon

Compressor Factory Reconditioned Bostitch BTFP02011-R 6 Gallon Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor

11 hours ago, Seaworm1982 said:

what will 20 gal tank recycle at every 10 min? sorry never owned air compressor 

I have a 21 gallon tank and it cycles every 10 min or so and will run for less than a minute per cycle. Stingray brings up an important point that I neglected, you need to have an inline filter/water separator ahead of your scribe to keep everything running happily.

Hey seaworm.   I too started small and its really the way to go.  Cost a heck of lot less money and after you learn prepping and all the different ways to prep and all the different things to prep, then decide if you still like it and want to continue.  I use paleo tools in 4 different sizes of air scribes, using mostly the ME9100 and the Junior Jack.  I also use lots of star bond super glues in the thin and thick viscosity.  Along with all that I also have lots of art brushes, sculpting tools, all the dremel tools you can imagin and other types of glues and 2 part puttys in order to be able to fix/repair just about anything I am working on.  I started 24 years ago and am still crazy about prepping.  I wish you the best of luck

Ps (do not use Duco cement)  not a good glue for fossils.  I had to learn that the hard way

RB

Airscribes 1A.JPG

DSCN0630.JPG

MVC-003S.JPG

Toolcabinet.JPG

On 9/20/2016 at 9:02 PM, Seaworm1982 said:

I'm looking at Harbor Freight

6 gal.

1.5 hp

2.5 cfm @ 90 psi 

would this compressor get me by for now?

The portable compressor I purchased is 3 gallon, 1.5 hp, 155 psi, 2.6 scfm @ 90 psi. I can't speak for other tools, but with my aro 8315 It cycles a lot (every minute or two) but keeps up.

As others have said an inline filter is a necessity.

Thanks DNF now just deciding which air scribe to get CP 9361 or ME9100 or paleo aro need a tool that will break chucks and do fine detail 

On 9/25/2016 at 10:56 AM, Seaworm1982 said:

Thanks DNF now just deciding which air scribe to get CP 9361 or ME9100 or paleo aro need a tool that will break chucks and do fine detail 

If you want one tool to start with for all around work, I would go with the Aro style.

I called PaleoTools and I think Pelao Aro sounds like the right tool I will need. They told me I been to run 2HP air compressor but I thing 1.5 HP should hold me for now 

• 1 month later...

I am looking for a compressor and would like some advice.  I will probably be using it with a Paasche air eraser and an All Air Products 8315B scribe (I have not purchased either yet) for preparing smaller invertebrates, trilobites, ammonites, etc, plus the occasional Green River fish, etc.  No large vertebrate fossils.  I was looking through the Home Depot website and found this Campbell Hausfeld compressor that gets excellent reviews: Campbell Hausfeld Compressor.  I like it because it is very quiet and is oil-free.  I know oil-free compressors are usually pretty noisy but they seem to have fixed that with this one.  It is only an 8 gallon tank with a 1 HP motor but I think it would be powerful enough for what I want to do.  Does anyone have any experience with this compressor, or do you have any other advice for me?

Compressor.jpg

The rated airflow is a bit low so it will work hard to keep up if you're using an air hogging tool like a CP 9361 or the like. That thing puts my 6 SCFM compressor against the ropes at times.

This compressor will work, you will just have to stop when the motor fires up in order to allow it to refill the tank. Otherwise, iy will run nonstop and you will eventually lose the ability to effectively drive your preferred tools.

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The rated airflow is a bit low so it will work hard to keep up if you're using an air hogging tool like a CP 9361 or the like. That thing puts my 6 SCFM compressor against the ropes at times.

This compressor will work, you will just have to stop when the motor fires up in order to allow it to refill the tank. Otherwise, iy will run nonstop and you will eventually lose the ability to effectively drive your preferred tools.

Thanks, Ptychodus, good advice.  I think I will look for something with a bit higher SCFM.

I bought my compressor from Harbor Freight. I don't expect it to last forever but it does a good job of driving the air tools. My breaks are only to rest my hands and stretch my back now. The compressor just keep plugging away and keeps up just fine.

There is a Harbor Freight store just down the road from me, so that's tempting.  Which model did you buy?  I'm guessing this one: HF Compressor  ?  If so, how noisy is it?  Mine will be in my garage but houses here are fairly close together.

Archived