Shellac or not? Help requested.

HFVC Fossils

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Yes, ethanol. It's really a matter of playing around a bit. Say 50:50 with acetone and 25:75 ethanol/acetone. I read that some people have used just Paraloid and ethanol but I've never got it to dissolve properly. 

Me too.  50:50 by weight Acetone:Paraloid?

but then I don't understand the 25:75 in relation to Paraloid.... 

It confuses me a tiny bit. 

On 9/28/2016 at 0:03 PM, Harry Pristis said:

The truly humble don't have to announce it.  It's easy enough to distinguish between arrogance and advocacy.  I was applauding

your advocacy, not criticizing your false humility.  Mount your destrier fearlessly, and carry on.

Just trying for a bit of lightheartedness. :D Clearly an epic fail.

On 9/28/2016 at 5:05 PM, Wrangellian said:

Again, I was not talking about using white glue to slather a fossil and then have the next owner curse me for leaving the yellowed crust. I would only use it to fill the cracks, where if it yellowed you wouldn't see it. But if you can do the same with a plastic, then use the plastic by all means. About stability over decades, if that is actually true then I will concede, and I am trying to switch to Paraloid, but it is much more difficult to use in certain instances. What do you mean it takes a few days for the solvent to evaporate - it only takes seconds, I find, whereupon I need to apply more acetone to undo it. Is it not undoable after a few days?

When you use a high viscosity solution, it often takes quite a while for all of the solvent to completely evaporate from the glue joint. It takes an equally long time for the solvent to dissolve the plastic when creating the aforementioned high viscosity solution. The solvent does evaporate quickly in a very low viscosity solution.

Reversal of PVA, Butvar, or Paraloid is 100% indefinitely as there is almost no cross-linking of molecules when applied using proper solvents.

21 hours ago, HFVC Fossils said:

Me too.  50:50 by weight Acetone:Paraloid?

but then I don't understand the 25:75 in relation to Paraloid.... 

It confuses me a tiny bit. 

My bad. 50:50 acetone/alcohol and 25:75 acetone/alcohol for the solvents and then mix Paraloid with these.