Troodon

Fossils of the Hell Creek, New Book

37 posts in this topic

I was actually gonna say that that actinopterygian vert looks a lot like one of the verts I have.

Now THIS is an informative post! Thanks Troodon!

Troodon, thanks for the info.

How soon people forget, that a vast majority of the fossil discoveries were made by amateur collectors, and it is these same amateur's, that are the most knowledgeable. I know many of my fellow Mazon Creek collectors who have fossils named after them because they found the Holotype.

6 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I was actually gonna say that that actinopterygian vert looks a lot like one of the verts I have.

Great that helps.  I hope the book is reasonably priced.

There is also a statement in this book where they mention that since it is the beta version, they would welcome any input before the final publication.  I would love to contact the authors and tell them that their dinosaur section left much to be desired.  However, since I'm a collector of vertebrates from the Hell Creek Formation, I had to put the book down, as it was not meant for me.  :blink:

5 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

Now THIS is an informative post! Thanks Troodon!

Appreciate the comment.  Lots of Hell Creek collectors out there.

4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Troodon, thanks for the info.

How soon people forget, that a vast majority of the fossil discoveries were made by amateur collectors, and it is these same amateur's, that are the most knowledgeable. I know many of my fellow Mazon Creek collectors who have fossils named after them because they found the Holotype.

So true, the good news is that the majority of Paleontologists support amateur collectors.

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Great that helps.  I hope the book is reasonably priced.

Beta version was $275, I believe.  

1 hour ago, Susan from PA said:

Beta version was $275, I believe.  

Well that's a chunk of change that most everyone will pass on.   Hopefully the final version will be reasonable. 

I'm a little confused.  

Is this a guide to their own finds or a general guide to vertebrate fossils from Hell Creek Formation?

I'm not quite getting what their goal is that isn't already available from numerous other sources. 

Such as.:

http://digfieldschool.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Fossil-ID-Guide_06_28_12.pdf

and published papers on macro vertebrates.  More sources are always welcome so i'm just trying to determine if anything new is being offered.

It's intended to be a guide to Vertebrate fossils from the Hell creek.  However the only ones displayed in the book are those collected by that group. 

It goes into a lot more detail describing each fossil and many more items are covered than the pdf.  It's another reference source and although weak does a much better review of dinosaur teeth and some claws.

For those interested in this Field Guide, I sent Thomas Carr a tweet, and he responded.   Book will be available sometime in the spring.  

image.thumb.jpg.1147066c3d3d89cd806cbd90d3de53b1.jpg

2 people finds this informative

Sounds like an intriguing reference I wouldn't mind having...but that statement deters me. Do they not realize that personal collectors use their collections to inform others oftentimes? Some even beneficially moreso than the academics. Just appalling!

I think it was poorly worded to lump those who purchase in to that statement, but I think they mean it's not intended to be published to help people who collect commercially (for profit). So I wouldn't say its against amateurs going out and collecting rather commercial collecting. I guess he's worried about making a guide that will sweep Hell Creek clean of fossils?

edit: somehow missed the big paragraph not in bold about the "personal horde". Seems with a statement like that he's trying to minimise the number of copies he'll sell/need to print!

9 minutes ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Sounds like an intriguing reference I wouldn't mind having...but that statement deters me. Do they not realize that personal collectors use their collections to inform others oftentimes? Some even beneficially moreso than the academics. Just appalling!

I too saw this book first hand, and that statement deterred me as well.  However, there was some useful information in it, so I'm going to pick up a copy if I can.  I failed to mention in my tweet that I have Hell Creek dinosaur fossils in my house.  ;) :ighappy: :trex:

1 minute ago, Susan from PA said:

I too saw this book first hand, and that statement deterred me as well.  However, there was some useful information in it, so I'm going to pick up a copy if I can.  I failed to mention in my tweet that I have Hell Creek dinosaur fossils in my house.  ;) :ighappy: :trex:

I edited a fraction too slow :P

Hope it's a good book, not a heap of adult books on dinosaurs in my travels - mainly aimed at kids.

Just now, Ash said:

I edited a fraction too slow :P

Hope it's a good book, not a heap of adult books on dinosaurs in my travels - mainly aimed at kids.

Indeed! Always have to snatch them up when you DO find them!

On 9/22/2016 at 7:21 PM, Susan from PA said:

There is also a statement in this book where they mention that since it is the beta version, they would welcome any input before the final publication.  I would love to contact the authors and tell them that their dinosaur section left much to be desired.  However, since I'm a collector of vertebrates from the Hell Creek Formation, I had to put the book down, as it was not meant for me.  :blink:

Susan from PA,

Nice!

Hopefully, someone will remind the co-author that if the book is for sale, the goal is to sell as many as possible - not make a point of alienating any percentage of potential buyers.  If the goal is to distribute the book only to scientists, students, and volunteer collectors, then it should be something handed out for free to them because those people aren't in it for the money.

If Siteseer writes a book about fossils, he wouldn't care if Patriots fans wanted to buy it (he's a Dolphins fan).  Just make sure you spell his name right on the check.

Jess

1 person finds this informative

Well put @siteseer!   The really funny part, is that the beta version that I saw, was purchased by friends who have a micro site channel from the Hell Creek Formation on their land.  They purchased the book because they thought it would help them identify fossils that they collect and sell.   I will be interested to see if the version published for sale contains the same statement in its front cover.  

Those Patriots are charmed, aren't they? (Cowboys fan here. Please don't hold it against me. :) ).  

moral_high_ground.JPG

2 people finds this informative

Thanks for posting Troodon.

I was excited about the book until I read that statement and the price. No thanks. 

17 hours ago, BadlandTraveller said:

Thanks for posting Troodon.

I was excited about the book until I read that statement and the price. No thanks. 

I think you need to see the published version and price before you can react to it.  It might be very different 

On 2017-03-15 at 8:48 PM, Ash said:

True.  I only seek actual info from peer reviewed publications or like the one being offered. 'General books'  I get out of the library.

The worse science books are when the author spend too much time on generic info I've previously read a hundred times. No real substance.  I once read a book on some dino expedition to North Africa...a couple hundred pages and perhaps 10 on anything new. There's nothing wrong with a lot of dino books for the entertainment value but no 'meat on the bones'.

The thought that I should withhold an opinion on a publication that has stated their total disdain for me personally, on the chance that they might not include their assinine " ethics statement " is just unreasonable. 

Even if they don't put their statement in the finished product because they are pressured to do so. The old saying is those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still. 

Knowing this I would not put a dime in their pocket.