Gomph Tooth

PrehistoricFlorida

very nice tooth but i think it should go under members collection, i would guess it is your tooth thats why im saying this.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

very nice tooth but i think it should go under members collection, i would guess it is your tooth thats why im saying this.

Nope... it won't be in my collection for long.

yea thats true but still the more appropriate place to put it i would say. Never the less its a great find

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

yea thats true but still the more appropriate place to put it i would say. Never the less its a great find

Well, when you buy it you can put it there...

Well, when you buy it you can put it there...

im not sure if you know but i am a member of a very poor family so i will never be able to buy the wonderful fossils you have for sale.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

World-class beautiful; that would be a centerpiece in anyone's collection. :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's a gem of a Gomphotherium tooth that I thought some of you may enjoy seeing...

Nice tooth, Nate! That's an excellent wear stage to illustrate the trefoil shape of the lophs.

I'm accustomed to thinking of all these gomph teeth as Cuvieronius tropicus, particularly if they are associated with Pleistocene fossils. I seem to recall that Cuvieronius was the latest surviving gomph. Do you have an ID for this tooth?

There are, of course, a number of other gomph taxa, and these have been sorted out at the FSM in recent years. I have not seen that publication.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Nice tooth, Nate! That's an excellent wear stage to illustrate the trefoil shape of the lophs.

I'm accustomed to thinking of all these gomph teeth as Cuvieronius tropicus, particularly if they are associated with Pleistocene fossils. I seem to recall that Cuvieronius was the latest surviving gomph. Do you have an ID for this tooth?

There are, of course, a number of other gomph taxa, and these have been sorted out at the FSM in recent years. I have not seen that publication.

Harry,

I have not put the time necessary to come up with a positive ID into this tooth. It was found with Miocene through Pleistocene fossils, so a positive ID may be very difficult.

Very nice...but why aren't you keeping it? (Iwould.. ;) )

Be true to the reality you create.

Nate, it's a beauty for sure. Did you have to use cocktail sauce "toothpaste" to clean it?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very nice...but why aren't you keeping it? (Iwould.. ;) )

There's the rub. If he starts keeping them for his collection the poor boy would have to get a 9-5 job like the rest of us. Imagine getting up on sunny Monday mornings and getting to go look for fossils.

Archived