ffemtb1

So I figured I would share this little bit of information for those that want to go to Green Mills Run, but live a good distance away and want to determine if the trip is going to be a bust due to water level conditions. So this is something I have used for the past 2 years and has yet to let me down. I frequent the creek on a weekly basis and have recorded observations of the creek water levels based on the Tar River at Greenville,NC Hydro-Graph. You can find that at this web address: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=mhx&gage=PGVN7 . Now, if the water levels are at 6 foot or below, the creek water level is perfect for hunting, just as long as there hasn't been 24hrs or more of consistent heavy rains or strong winds out of the East. This usually increases the creek water levels about another foot or more. Then it become kind of iffy in that situation. I would say its about an 80% chance that I would go. You wont have too many creek bed exposures, but hunting isn't impossible. When the Hydro-Graph is around 7 to 8 feet, fossil hunting isn't impossible, but your limited to certain areas of the creek usually around Green Springs park or by the cemetery. When the hydro-graph shows water levels above 8 feet, don't waste your time. Also note that if the Hydro-Graph shows consistent days of 9 feet or more in the Tar River, even if the graph shows water levels in the Tar River around 6 feet a day or so after you checked the graph, Green Mills Run take a few days for the water level to get back to normal. It doesn't flow very fast. Well this is my 2 cents. I have yet to find any information out there to help fossil hunter that like to hunt Green Mills Run in regards to the water level and trip planning. Please share your thoughts and opinions even if they vary from my results. 

The Tar is at 11' right now and the creek is fine. I have found pretty much the opposite of what you are saying in regards to this location. I think it is best to just ask a local to go look at it before you head down if possible. The rise in water at this creek is mostly due to storm water flow so it tends to drop down pretty quick after a rain event. 

Maybe it was just a stroke of luck on the times I went and other variables that I wasn't taking in account. I appreciate the feedback. Definitely changes things.

How did your hunt go? I ended up hitting a few spots yesterday on the James river and ended up with a very nice Bulla that was well intact and a vertebrae. 

Water levels were definitely above normal but nowhere near unworkable. It gets lower as you go upstream. Not too much found today unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, ffemtb1 said:

How did your hunt go? I ended up hitting a few spots yesterday on the James river and ended up with a very nice Bulla that was well intact and a vertebrae. 

I have found them by the James river bridge, what part were you in?

Archived