100 million years of decorating yourself in junk

edd

Thanks for the link, Edd. 

I hadn't seen this article yet. 
Very cool. 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Interesting article. Thanks.

Included in the article is a video link of a carrier crab (Dorippe frascone) which uses its modified pair of rear legs to grab onto various objects to act as protection and camouflage. In addition to broken pieces of shell or macroalgal clumps, these crabs will occasionally grab some formidable protective passengers (though likely unwilling) like urchins, anemones, or jellies. This reminded me of the carrier crabs I saw some years back in the Philippines dragging around Upside-down Jellyfish (Cassiopea andromeda).

Cheers.

-Ken

DSC_1957.jpgDSC_2011.jpg

Very interesting article...Thanks for sharing....:) 

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I can't imagine he gets good milage in that car with the kind of wind resistance all those decorations provide. :ighappy:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived