Sharktooth Hill Micro Matrix

Nimravis

I recently won an Auction that was started by Tony (YNOT) and it included a Medium box of Sharktooth Hill micro matrix. The below pics, along with specimen counts, are examples of some of the items that I found in this matrix. 

(+80) Cetorhinus (Basking Shark) 

S20160924_0009.jpg

(+300) Myliobatis mouth plates

Myliobatis.jpg

Good stuff! I was just thinking about looking through the matrix that I got from tony as well and now you inspired me. (I have a few minutes to spare before I head north for some salmon fishing).:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

8 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

(3) Sperm Whale Teeth

S20160924_0004.jpgS20160924_0055.jpg

Those teeth are probably not sperm whale teeth but more likely other archaic whales - genera belonging to extinct families without modern descendants.  

19 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

(2) Porpoise Teeth

S20160924_0033.jpg

(+25) Vertebrate

S20160924_0018.jpg

Technically, the teeth identified as "porpoise" belong to an extinct group of whales probably about the size of a modern dolphin but not related to them directly.  Porpoises are a distinct group of whales that had not yet appeared by Sharktooth Hill time. 

12 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

(+600) Ray Teeth

S20160924_0026.jpg

(+100) Misc Dermal Denticals

S20160924_0011.jpg(+100) 

That specimen identified as a dermal denticle is a ray tooth, Dasyatis, and it follows the shape of a male tooth.

10 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Those teeth are probably not sperm whale teeth but more likely other archaic whales - genera belonging to extinct families without modern descendants.  

Thanks for the clarification.

28 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I recently won an Auction that was started by Tony (YNOT) and it included a Medium box of Sharktooth Hill micro matrix. The below pics, along with specimen counts, are examples of some of the items that I found in this matrix. 

S20160924_0009.jpg

Myliobatis.jpg

30 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

S20160924_0009.jpg

Myliobatis.jpg

You found a lot of Myliobatis teeth but then you will find more screening matrix than by digging and seeing what's on the surface of chunks.  The thing I've noticed about Sharktooth Hill Myliobatis teeth is that they tend to be smaller than what you'd find at Calvert Cliffs or Lee Creek or wherever you find these teeth in layers of about the same age. 

Nice micros! STH micro-matrix is hard to beat for some really sweet micro-fossils. Looks like @siteseer had same thoughts about some of the IDs and beat me to posting useful comments about your finds. That's one of the great things about this forum is that you can quickly learn from the shared knowledge of the forum's members (and soon be passing along that knowledge to others).

Nice sharp photography of the micros (which tend to be difficult to photograph). What setup are you using for these photos?

BTW: Thanks for participating in Tony's STH auction offering and paying it forward by starting an auction of your own.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/68783-a-few-fossils-to-help-the-forum/

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, ynot said:

WOW! If I had known there was that much good stuff in that box I would have kept it for Myself.

You did good!:dinothumb:

Tony

:rofl:

...I'm back.

2 hours ago, ynot said:

WOW! If I had known there was that much good stuff in that box I would have kept it for Myself.

You did good!:dinothumb:

Tony

LOL

2 hours ago, digit said:

Nice micros! STH micro-matrix is hard to beat for some really sweet micro-fossils. Looks like @siteseer had same thoughts about some of the IDs and beat me to posting useful comments about your finds. That's one of the great things about this forum is that you can quickly learn from the shared knowledge of the forum's members (and soon be passing along that knowledge to others).

Nice sharp photography of the micros (which tend to be difficult to photograph). What setup are you using for these photos?

BTW: Thanks for participating in Tony's STH auction offering and paying it forward by starting an auction of your own.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/68783-a-few-fossils-to-help-the-forum/

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken thanks for the comments. As far as the camera, I am using a "Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope" that I recently bought from Amazon to take these pics. It is very easy to use and I believe cost $35.00.

3 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Ken thanks for the comments. As far as the camera, I am using a "Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope" that I recently bought from Amazon to take these pics. It is very easy to use and I believe cost $35.00.

You should post a picture of the scope with some of these. I'm sure many of us are interested in seeing the camera that took these images...for only $35.

...I'm back.

3 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

You should post a picture of the scope with some of these. I'm sure many of us are interested in seeing the camera that took these images...for only $35.

Posted pics.

Archived