Scouting trip

Tomwith3girls

My wife and I went on a scouting trip in NC today. Unfortunately we found no shark teeth, but we did find a lot of mosquitos, looks like a piece of petrified wood and what I believe is a chunk of coal.? On to SC this weekend to check out some new sites. 

20160926_205415.jpg

Yep, the black one looks like coal. Coal is a fossil, so you might look it over and see plant bits in it. If not, you could tap it with a hammer and it might split open and expose a layer of plant material.

To tell if the other one is pet wood, you woulld likely need more phots from different angles, and in better focus. I'll have to let other people discuss that, because I'm not terribly good at determining pet wood.

Thanks Tmaier, ill ask the boss (wife) before doing that since she picked it up. I had no idea there could be plants in them. The other piece is definitely pet wood. I used to see it all the time when I was a kid in Texas. I think for now on though, I will use my wife's camera to take the pics of the fossils, it produces much better quality. 

1 minute ago, Tomwith3girls said:

Thanks Tmaier, ill ask the boss (wife) before doing that since she picked it up. I had no idea there could be plants in them. The other piece is definitely pet wood. I used to see it all the time when I was a kid in Texas. I think for now on though, I will use my wife's camera to take the pics of the fossils, it produces much better quality. 

I discovered the term for that (boss/wife) as being "hermission" :P

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer