Skull? From what?

VirginiaWilderness

Upon digging a large hole for a pond in Suffolk, Virginia, we came across lots of shells and other Oceanic remains. We've even found a few shark teeth. This little fragment is one of the more unique items we've found so far. We're assuming it's some kind of skull, but I'm not sure. I came here in the hopes someone would recognize what it's from. If the crescent shape formed a complete circle, it would be about the size of a fifty cent coin. I will attach a few photos. A couple of the photos include some other items found in the same pit (crab claw, shells, etc). 

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

20160925_153316.jpg

20160925_153339.jpg

20160925_153344.jpg

20160925_153351.jpg

20160925_153400.jpg

20160925_153406.jpg

The texture looks like shell material, and that depression reminds me of how oysters like to grow in clusters, and will deform/conform their shells to pack themselves together. But otherwise, I can't say definatively what it is, but I'm betting on oyster shell.

Ty. I can see where you get that. I can't help thinking the shape, holes, and markings are too symmetrical to be a shell though. There appear to be nostrils, among other things. I'll be back out there this weekend and bring it inside to see if I can take some better pictures. 

While I'm here, is there a way to tell what kind of shark this came from? (comparable to the size of a quarter)   Mako?

20160917_124457.jpg

Initially, I was thinking it might be some kind of rodent, but I think tmaier is right that it is more likely to be an oyster shell. It seems a bit too asymmetrical to be a skull (note that the left and right sides are a bit off and the protruding section is not exactly centered).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Whoa, that tooth is very "crisp". And the scallop is also very pristine (the ear flaps like to break off).

You should make separate threads for each specimen, because it keeps things nice and orderly, and easier to reference in the future.

I'm not a shark tooth person, but the ridges on that are great.

1 minute ago, tmaier said:

Whoa, that tooth is very "crisp". And the scallop is also very pristine (the ear flaps like to break off).

You should make separate threads for each specimen, because it keeps things nice and orderly, and easier to reference in the furure.

I'm not a shark tooth person, but the ridges on that are great.

Ah ok. I'll create a separate topic for it. Sorry about that

4 minutes ago, Grimlock said:

The tooth is a great white. Good find

Cool :)    My friend found one as big as her hand. I'll have to get some pictures and post them up soon

I think you have part of a fish skull but your pictures need to be clearer to be sure. I've added a Pagrus skull to your image to compare. Your skull doesn't have the crest that this Pagrus has.

fishskull.jpg

1 hour ago, VirginiaWildnerness said:

Cool :)    My friend found one as big as her hand. I'll have to get some pictures and post them up soon

If she has one as big as her hand is probably not a Great White, and more likely a Megalodon. But we'd like to see pictures please.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

17 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I think you have part of a fish skull but your pictures need to be clearer to be sure. I've added a Pagrus skull to your image to compare. Your skull doesn't have the crest that this Pagrus has.

fishskull.jpg

That does look quite similar! 

I agree that it looks like a skull part. It's way too symmetrical to be anything else in my opinion.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 1 month later...

Sooo, I went back out there and was very annoyed to find that my skull (or whatever it was!) was lost when someone moved the object I left my little collection sitting on. :(    

I'm going to post a new thread with a bunch of pictures of other fun stuff we've found in the same pit. Feel free to check them out

Al Dente's right on this one - oysters are not symmetrical! Definitely some sort of fish neurocranium.

Archived