Over the fields again

Ludwigia

I had a bit of time on hand on Sunday; actually the whole day. I felt like getting out, but I didn't particularly feel like doing a lot of hammering, prying and clambering about, so I decided to head out to the fields, since this is the time when the farmers plow up a lot of them. I've discovered a "collection" of fields over a few years of sleuthing around the Geisingen and Blumberg areas, so I figured I'd do the tour again. The only thing which is a little strenuous about this kind of activity is bending over and standing up again. Crisscrossing fields in a grid pattern can get a bit boring too by the end of the day, but the air is fresh, the birds are singing and the cats are on the prowl. I covered 8 fields over a stretch of about 7 hours - they lay quite far apart and I have to drive from one to the next - and 5 of them had a few things worth taking. The thing about field finds is that a lot of the fossils laying there are pretty weathered, so a lot gets left behind, but there are almost always a few thing which could do with a closer look in the workshop. Here's what I took home with me.

Geisingen.jpg

1b.jpg

Talheim, Hondingen, Öfingen.jpg

The ones in the first 2 crates come from a pile of blocks which were stacked at the edge of a field near Geisingen. They had obviously been recently cleared off by the farmer. I whacked open a lot of them, thereby discovering some ammonites within a few, as illustrated in the second photo. The stone is pretty hard, lots to remove, and there's some puzzle work to do, so I'll probably save these until last. I'm not even sure if they'll survive the treatment.

I started rummaging through the finds today and decided to begin with the ones at the bottom right, since the matrix is relatively soft and easier to work. I chose the one in 2 pieces where you can see the chambers to begin with. First I removed the matrix from the smaller piece and then glued the two pieces together

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

Then I worked a bit more with the air pen, decided to remove the rest of the matrix surrounding the fossil and had a go at it with the air abrader in order to see what shape the shell was in.

1d.jpg

1e.jpg

1f.jpg

So far so good...the rest of the work was done rocking back and forth between pen and abrader. I find it's pretty good for a field find, although I still have a few gaps to fill in with stone meal. I'm also not sure about the species, but I'll figure that out later.

1h.jpg

1g.jpg

I'll post this again once it's finished and also the others as I get them done.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

:wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I love that red oolite rock! That seems like a lot of work to extract. How many hours did you put into it?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

:blink: Strange...everything's doubled here...that also happened while I was posting photos. Maybe we should tell @Cris

Glad you're enjoying the ride, Tim.

Dave, it took me roughly 3 hours.

Nice finds.  

Is incredible that those fossils survived all that activity in the fields over 

the decades. Its great you have restored their form.

I lived two years due west of there  ( an hour's drive?) on the Rhine River across from Alsace.  In those fields we used to find find a few older artifacts from the wars and earlier times. 

On 28.9.2016 at 0:57 AM, darctooth said:

Good work on some good finds!:ammonite01:

Thanks

On 28.9.2016 at 2:15 AM, Canadawest said:

Nice finds.  

Is incredible that those fossils survived all that activity in the fields over 

the decades. Its great you have restored their form.

I lived two years due west of there  ( an hour's drive?) on the Rhine River across from Alsace.  In those fields we used to find find a few older artifacts from the wars and earlier times. 

I'm always amazed at how they manage to stay in shape sometimes. So you're familiar with this part of the world? Lovely area, isn't it?

On 28.9.2016 at 5:14 AM, ynot said:

Way cool finds, again!:dinothumb:

Looking forward to seeing the finished pieces.:popcorn:

Tony

On 28.9.2016 at 3:02 PM, PFOOLEY said:

Excellent harvest, Roger! :D

On 28.9.2016 at 4:22 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

:drool: Very nice. I love ammonites!

Thanks guys....I'd like to put a smiley in here, but my computor's not allowing me. It's been acting more and more strangely the last few days. I guess I'll have to visit my man soon.

On 28.9.2016 at 4:32 PM, JimB88 said:

Awesome! Cant wait to see the one with the bumps on it finished. Great job on the prep!

Thanks, Jim. The one with the bumps? Do you mean the bivalve at the bottom left? I think that's a Myophorella. That'll be one of the next ones to do. Just needs a bit of abrading. In the meantime I got the one I started finished. I'm not absolutely certain, but I think it's a Homeoplanulites funatus. Diameter 8cm.

A1155a.2.jpg

A1155b.2.jpg

Great finds (like always !) :)
Your prepping skills are awesome !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

I got started on another ammonite today. First it had to be glued and then the matrix removed. One side is done, still the other to do.

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

2c.jpg

I also got that bumpy bivalve finished. It took a bit longer than I first thought it would since I noticed that it would also be possible to expose the hinge. It's a little weathered, but a Myophorella clavellata in this area is not to be sneezed at.

L311a.2.jpg

L311b.2.jpg

Ludwigia ' So you're familiar with this part of the world? Lovely area, isn't it?'

Yup. In th early 1970's wandered and cycled over the Black Forest and Alsace across the Rhine. Our school was a former WW1 and 2 Military barracks.  Old school mate posted this on Facebook. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Canadawest said:

Ludwigia ' So you're familiar with this part of the world? Lovely area, isn't it?'

Yup. In th early 1970's wandered and cycled over the Black Forest and Alsace across the Rhine. Our school was a former WW1 and 2 Military barracks.  Old school mate posted this on Facebook. 

image.jpeg

Good thing you weren't there when that happened. Where is that exactly?

I got the other side of the above ammonite finished today, another Homeoplanulites, as well as a Macrocephalites sp. They are both from the same field with the red oolite. The funny thing about these fields is that various horizons get churned around. The Homeoplanulites are upper Bathonian and the Macrocephalites lower Callovian and I found them not twenty feet away from each other. The Macrocephalites is interesting in that it shows the preserved shell on the one side and the calcified internal mold on the other. There is also a tube worm attached to the inner whorls.

A1156a.2.jpg

A1156b.2.jpg

A1157a.2.jpg

A1157b.2.jpg

Wow.  You've brought out the best and restored incredible specimens.  The last one is like a work of art...great fossil to bring out and show both outer shell and inner sutures, etc.

5 hours ago, Canadawest said:

Wow.  You've brought out the best and restored incredible specimens.  The last one is like a work of art...great fossil to bring out and show both outer shell and inner sutures, etc.

Thanks, I really do like that Macro. So where did you go to school? Freiburg? Karlsruhe?