ID needed for my new tooth

X.Rex

Hello dear fellow fossil lovers

Recently my interest of collecting stuff has shifted to dinosaur teeth, and having a decent sized T Rex tooth in my collection is a must thanks to my OCD. Dinosaurs has fascinated me ever since I was a kid.

So after I sold one of my beloved guitars, here it is. I counted the serrations on both side, about 18-22 per cm so should confirm it is pulled out from an adult T.Rex based on what I have read. The info says it was unearthed from Lance Creek fm. Being a complete noob on dino fossile 

Please let me know what you guys think, does this look like the real deal to you?

_RR_9NX@8H5%RERNRX[KIWR.jpg

04L)0KOA[)R9$510ETKJI36.jpg

9FI8WJOB$PF85U%`VM$]QGO.jpg

G]V4@V(F7{N4QG45`[69_JJ.png

YXW)CSKUE$MU5_QX~AFMRG1.jpg

I  am not very knowledgeable about dino stuff. But I will say that looks like one sweet tooth! Troodon oh Troodon were art thou now Troodon?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

4 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

i hate to disappoint everybody,but serration density is not very informative,fide Farlow/Brinkman(1991) et al.

And that is why I post pics here to ask for help from people with more informative ID methods. ;)

Nice tooth and definitely a tyrannosaurid.  What is the length of the tooth?   Can you take a straight in  picture of the  base 

Oh ...yea its a T-REX tooth for sure.....Super nice tooth. I have been wanting one of these for a long time now....But way out of my budget..But I do have a scientific study cast of one of Stan's teeth and it does look real.  

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

27 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Nice tooth and definitely a tyrannosaurid.  What is the length of the tooth?   Can you take a straight in  picture of the  base 

Here you go! The tooth is about 7.5 cm or 3 inch straight line. Hope that helps

B~A`J%@1AXKJRS3}3Q3VXZK.jpg

8(6`ZCRD1NZ)W@DH]$J@T5O.jpg

2 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Thanks for the links to the detailed studies, this is exactly the kind of in-depth knowledge I need to educate myself with

Wanted to make sure we are not looking at a large Nanotyrannus.  Size, robustness coupled with your serration count clearly says Rex.  A study I conducted with my teeth indicated for a 3" tooth you can expect serrations to be what 1.8-2/mm, exactly what yours is.   Nice tooth and most likely a left maxillary one.

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

From what localities are you interested in dinosaurs teeth?

Lance and Hell Creek Formations most likely, thats where my favorite ones used to live ;)

Other than that Nemegt Formation would be another place I want to go look for dino teeth, but that's off the limit currently I guess

Definitely T. rex.

In my opinion, it is not not robust enough labial/lingually to be from the dentary. So I agree with Troodon on it being a maxillary tooth. But I disagree on it being a left maxillary. It's a right maxillary. 

The posterior (distal) serrations are labially placed, and the anterior (medial) serrations are lingually oriented making it a right maxillary tooth. 

1475080581258.jpeg

Archived