Identification needed :)

socalgirl

Hello Fossil Forum! I was hoping someone could help me identify this tooth. A friend of mine found it in the Tunica Hills by the Louisiana state penitentiary. When it was found it was a whole specimen, but got broken by the person taking the photo : (  I hope anyone can tell me just what type of tooth it is. The curiosity has been killing us. Thank you for your time and efforts!

tooth1006.jpg

tooth2007.jpg

Welcome to the forum....Socalgirl

It appears to be a mammal canine tooth. It could be modern or a fossil and what species may be a little hard to say because they look the same for many species of mammals...Now if you can tell use where the tooth was found or give us some idea of the geology of the area....It could be a dog or wolf maybe a bear you would need a real expert to tell for sure...Sorry I can't help any more.....:(   

PS.....I just googled Tunica hills and it appears that this area has a very rich fossil deposits with Marine Eocene, Miocene and other Tertiary epochs ...So its even possible your tooth maybe a Dolphin tooth.     

• I found this Informative 1

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Welcome to the Forum !
I'm not familiar with your area, but the canine tooth in question could be a bear tooth.
Here is for example an Ursus spelaeus canine from Romania, in my collection :

1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you for all your comments! It looks like a bear tooth. According to Harry P. Posts. I'm excited to be a part of this forum and I cannot wait to find some more artifacts. Thanks again everyone:D