Oval sandstone impressions ID?

wingnut

I know nothing about fossils, but these shapes don't appear to be the result of geological activity. They are simple oval outlines with central lines on the long axis. They are about 8" to 10" long. They are on the shore of Cabbage Island, off the southern tip 20160925_173639.jpegof Saturna Island, BC. Research on the Web has been unsuccessful. I'd be thrilled to find out what they are. 

Welcome to the Forum.

They are geological: concretions and scratches. The scratches are just random. Notice the scratch on the left one is arcing while the right one has two parallel straight scratches. Also, note that there is a scratch below the right one to the lower right side. The giant rings are caused by differences in the cementation (formation of concretions) and thus the toughness of the sandstone to weathering.

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Welcome to the Forum.

They are geological: concretions and scratches. The scratches are just random. Notice the scratch on the left one is arcing while the right one has two parallel straight scratches. Also, note that there is a scratch below the right one to the lower right side. The giant rings are caused by differences in the cementation (formation of concretions) and thus the toughness of the sandstone to weathering.

I agree with this and would add that they are across the bedding plane.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.