Hell-Creek Dinosaur Bone Identification

Pterosaur

Hi everyone! 

I found this this bone while digging in the Hell Creek formation on a ranch in Montana. Any idea what it might be? Has some really unusual texture in a few places that I've not seen before. Could it be some kind of metatarsal bone? Was found alongside a fair bit of triceratops bone as well as a Thescelosaurus femur and some pieces of T-Rex. What might the strange texture be? Based on the rounded edges on both sides (minus a small chunk that's missing) it looks to be nearly complete...I think??

Thank you! 

-Lauren

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

Hi Lauren 

Don't you know the first rule of dinosaur collecting is to find complete bones if you want to get them identified.  :ighappy:  Cool mystery bone, it's from a herbivore, looks to thin and long to be from a ceratopsian or tarsal.  I have most of the appendicular bones from a Thescelosaurus and Edmonto but nothing jumped out.   Cannot rule out croc.  I'll keep looking but hopfully someone can shed some light on it.

The texture you identified could be arthritis which is very common on dinosaurs 

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Hi Lauren 

Don't you know the first rule of dinosaur collecting is to find complete bones if you want to get them identified.  :ighappy:  Cool mystery bone, it's from a herbivore, looks to thin and long to be from a ceratopsian or tarsal.  I have most of the appendicular bones from a Thescelosaurus and Edmonto but nothing jumped out.   Cannot rule out croc.  I'll keep looking but hopfully someone can shed some light on it.

The texture you identified could be arthritis which is very common on dinosaurs 

Shoot! I figured it was pretty close to complete. It doesn't look much like a long bone or anything based on the gentle flare and curvature of the ends; which is why I thought I had most of it. Could it be some kind of scapula? Just looks so much like a metatarsal or metacarpal, but to be honest it also looks a little like a buffalo chicken wing so I'm the wrong person to be guessing. :)

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson