Well, it's big....

CandyC

It's located here in Alberta, Canada, but I can't say for sure this is where it came from. It's been passed down a few generations, but has essentially been sitting in a flower bed for the past 40+ years. I really know nothing about it.

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

It appears to be a cephalopod.  Dawsonaceras perhaps?  

And welcome to the forum! :)

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Hi CandyC from out east :)

Your specimen looks like a crinoid stem to me since you can see impressions of individual discs as well as what appears to be the lumen (central channel) that's been filled in with sediment.  What's throwing me for a loop is the size - it's MUCH larger than what I'm used to seeing over here in Ontario!  To be honest I'm not really sure if crinoids could have grown that big - I imagine that the answer is yes, but let's wait for the others to chime in...

Monica

3 minutes ago, Rob Russell said:

It appears to be a cephalopod.  Dawsonaceras perhaps?  

And welcome to the forum! :)

Hi Rob Russell!

I originally discounted the possibility of CandyC's specimen being a cephalopod since it doesn't seem to taper at one end, but I just Googled "Dawsonaceras" and it seems to look more cylindrical than other orthocone nautiloids, so perhaps that's what it is...

Thanks for sharing!

Monica

Seeing the details in the upper part of the enlarged portion I'm leaning toward internal mold with curved camerae of a weathered cephalopod orthocone in longitudinal section.

1.JPGOrdNautiloidInternalMold.jpg

By Wilson44691 - Own work, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4785529

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived