Bizarre Fake Elasmosaur Skull

LordTrilobite

I came across this absolutely bizarre looking skull on our favourite auction site. Most of the bones look pretty real. It looks nothing like the known Elasmosaur from Khouribda. Zarafasaura has a really short nose and gigantic jaw muscles. Besides the teeth this looks nothing like it.

Most of the bone seems to be real and while there definitely seems to be some repair/construction. Most of the real bones seem to fit together. Some of the teeth are definitely plastered in. Though there seem to be some unerupted teeth that do actually belong to the jaws. The top of the snout also looks completely bizarre.

What I think has happened here... Is that someone took a crocodile, mosasaur and elasmosaur and mashed them together. Look at the back of the skull. This looks like the back of a crocodile skull to me. I'm not sure where the jaws come from (maybe croc?) but the teeth are definitely those of a plesiosaur, probably Zarafasaura. The top of the snout had me confused for a few minutes but I think that this is actually the frontal and parietal of a mosasaur. Notice what looks like the parietal eye filled in with a chunk of bone in the middle top off the skull.

So yeah I think this is an absolute abomination. Steer clear folks...

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

You really have an eye for details, don't you?^_^

I would have said it was an elasmosaur (or other plesiosaur) skull; even though the teeth look quite a lot like mosasaur teeth (they seem nearly identical to mosasaur teeth I have...)

I definitely wouldn't have noticed it was crocodilian though:wacko:

Anyways great job seeing it's a fake!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

The teeth in this weird skull are actually just normal Elasmosaur teeth. Most likely Zarafasaura oceanis. Mosasaur teeth are quite different. Mosasaur don't get so long and thin. Nor are they flattened at the tip like the teeth from the front of the mouth of Zarafasaura.

If you have teeth in your collection that look nearly identical to these. Then they are likely Elasmosaur teeth as well.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

What a monstrous skull. More a work of art than anything.

And as Olaf mentioned, the teeth are mostly, if not all Zarafasaura oceanis.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I keep looking and admiring how they have used what looks to be a jaw for part of the top section of the skull and how did it breathe. e ef

What would it look like if this was constructed with parts the other way up.