Fossil ID?

CenCal Sandman

Found this today. There was a lot of conglomerate sea shells in the area also. I am thinking possibly a coral or other under sea plant. Any ideas?

IMG_3170.JPG

First five pictures are barnacles. Last one is a conglomerate of shells.  Where are you in central Calif.?

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Welcome to :tff: !

I agree with Caldigger. The first 2 pictures are of mineral growth inside the barnacles, most likely calcite.

Neat rocks!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm in Clovis...near Fresno. I was working in the mountains west of Coalinga when I found it. I was at about 2700ft in elevation. Pretty neat to see the sea floor was pushed that high.

Here is another picture

IMG_3174.JPG

I used to live in Clovis as well as Fresno for many years. Now residing in Paso Robles (the other side of the valley).   The Kettleman Hills through Coalinga are filled with marine fossils.  Unfortunately Cheveron Oil companies have closed off many of the good traditional sites to collecting.  Looks like you found a good spot though.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Barnacles and bivalves. Nice ones ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library