A lot of misidentified material from a single source:

Description:  Pachycephalosaurus Vertebra 

Fact: it's Thescelosaurus not Pachycephalosaurus

s-l400 (2).jpg

Description: Theropod Vertebra Dinosaur 

Fact: Not dinosaurian probably Crocodile 

s-l1600_20160929190947697.jpg

Description:  Theropod Vertebra Dinosaur

Fact: Not dinosaurian looks like a Champosaurus vert.

s-l1600_20160929191105909.jpg

Description: Theropod Finger Bone, Raptor, Dromaeosaur 

Fact: Not dinosaurian looks like turtle

s-l1600_20160929191350374.jpg

Description: Theropod Vertebra Dinosaur Fossil

Fact: Not dinosaurian not sure may be Croc. or reptilian 

s-l1600_20160929191649885.jpg

Description: Large Theropod Vertebra, Raptor Rex

Fact: Don't believe it's Theropod or Raptor Rex looks more like a Thescelosaur

s-l1600_20160929191947924.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Croc verts there are so different to the ones here. The ones here are sorta ball and socket type things.

27585449716_0f182eeb54_z.jpg

27619215905_035f07f874_z.jpg

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I think most have the ball  and socket.  The first one shown is quite worn or incomplete  because they are not very robust..has some characteristics of the one shown in photo.  Definitely not dinosaurian 

Example from Hell Creek Formation 

20160917_045354_20160930033327579.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Ah yep that shows it clearer, thanks.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

• 2 weeks later...

Same seller has a new theropod toe bone for sale but the story is the same.

Looks more like a Ornithischian than theropod.   Possibly Thescelosaurus.

Theropod toes bones from the Hell Creek typically have deep oval ligament pits and the ventral side is a bit more arched than flat.  Better to run and catch dinner, yum yum :ighappy:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Who is the seller?

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

16 minutes ago, John said:

Who is the seller?

John, we're not interested in publishing the seller's name.   It is not relative to learning how to better identify the bones.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Caudal croc verts starting maybe halfway down the tail do not have the ball and socket. They have flat edgs, but this one posted seems too short; they get rather long.

Wow, thanks for the info! You seem to know a lot on the subject! 

So if I ever want to buy a dinosaur (or reptilian) fossil, I'll send a picture of it to you before to make sure I'm not seeing wrong info;)

Thank you and warm regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

If you are unsure of what youre buying it's always good practice to post it and get everyones in put in the forum.  Just don't trust written descriptions.

A beautiful trio of toe bones for sale from the Judith River Formation.   The seller calls them Brachylophosaurus and I asked him how he come up with the ID.   He said its the "most common"  :blink:    Wonder how he even came to that conclusion :(

Just a reminder for all collectors,  identifying isolated hadrosaur bones to a genus or species level is extremely difficult and only left to the most experienced paleontologist.   ID: Hadrosaurid indet.

s-l1600.jpg

Omg that sure is lovely... I think I'll keep an eye on this one.

As far as I know Brachylophosaurus is by far the most common Hadrosaur in Judith River Formation. But it being common is still not a really good reason to label it as such. I agree, Hadrosauridae indet.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

This is Judith in Montana and I'm not sure there has been enough discoveries, unlike Alberta, to call anything common.  Could be wrong.  It's a great looking group.

Well I grabbed that last Hadrosaur toe item. Now to wait for it to arrive! I'll likely be labeling it as Hadrosaurid indet, instead of Brachylophosaurus. But I'll definitely try to find out more about the identity.

Great,  nice pickup the preservation is super.  It's in good hands to provide an opportunity to ID them 

• 2 weeks later...

I got that Hadrosaurid toe today. The three bones are definitely really nicely preserved. For the time being I'll be labeling it as Hadrosauridae indet. Though hopefully I can find out some more info on it. Some quick research showed that it's a correct composition of the three phalanges of the fourth toe. I also found out it's from the left foot (which goes nice with the other left toe bone I already had from Judith River MT).
So that's the good. There's not a lot of downside to this piece. It  probably shouldn't have been labeled as Brachylophosaurus on the auction as it's more than possible that it's from different types of Hadrosaurs. Otherwise the first two bones don't fit perfectly. But that's to be expected from a composite. All in all, I'm happy.

Another thing I noticed. I used Edmontosaurus foot images for reference. While definitely phalanges from toe 4. There is some notable differences in morphology in these bones compared to Edmontosaurus. now to find good reference of the Judith River Hadrosaurs...

hadrotoe01.jpg

hadrotoe02.jpg

Nice looking bones, nice pickup.  JR references are going to be difficult, good luck.   If I see any will pass them on.  

I have heard of the dinosaur before. I was not aware it was present in Judith River MT. Thanks.

It's a shame the paper doesn't include any foot material.

I'm guessing but there are probably few articulated hadrosaur specimens in the Judith of MT.   Most papers I see come from material in Alberta.

Well... One of the best preserved dinosaurs ever found is from Judith River MT. Leonardo the Brachylophosaurus. And as far as I know other "mummies" have been found from the same location as well. Articulated material is definitely there. The trick is finding good photos.

Leonardo_mummified_brachylophosaurus.jpg