Rules In Alberta For Ammolite Collecting

fig rocks

Hi there just wandering if anyone knows the rules on collecting ammolite in alberta?

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure you're allowed to collect in Alberta on government land, and private properties(with permission). The only places off limits are heritage sites they have the same rules all over Canada. There is also I believe a regulation which does not permit you to move fossils out of the province, and I believe this carries a hefty fine.

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure you're allowed to collect in Alberta on government land, and private properties(with permission). The only places off limits are heritage sites they have the same rules all over Canada. There is also I believe a regulation which does not permit you to move fossils out of the province, and I believe this carries a hefty fine.

I also believe it is illegal to dig for any fossils, surface collecting only.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Thanks for the info. What do you think of my fossil, it's 22" across?

I think it would look real purdy in my basement. Great piece

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Must be nice! Hard to see much in the avatar thumbnail, though.

Post pics in "Member Collections" that we can enlarge. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm trying to upload pics of my ammonites in the gallery but it's not happening

That's a real purty specimen.

What's it weigh?

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

I figured it out they're posted in the gallery! It must weigh 50lbs. just a guess

fig rocks.........

Very nice indeed.......... I'm prepping one proportionally about the same from the lower Jurassic..... right now... an Angulaticeras..... I will post pics when its finished.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

That's my store Fig Rocks! I'm located in the Parkland Mall in Red Deer, Alberta. You can check out my website at www.fig4u.com

My fossils are Placenticeras meeki from the Cretaceous age out of the Bearpaw formation in southern Alberta by Lethbridge :)

Try " fossil_mgmt_framework.com"

look under Alberta fo the latest

welcome to the forum from Calgary

Thank you I tried your link but my browser said can't find the server

I have the said document in PDF format 314kbs

It's to big to post on the forum

But it dose cover most of Canada and some states

I would be more than willing to email you a copy

or almost anyone else.

After asking everyone about ammolite collecting in Alberta I found that is better to leave it alone. The rules from the blood tribe members are, they are not giving out permits for surface collecting not even to their own members more less to anyone else. Regarding the rules from the guy in charge at the Tyrell Museum, if you find anything surface collecting you can apply for a disposition permit and hope the museum doesn't like it or they'll take it from you. They said it's hard for them to regulate the shards because so many people are dealing in them. They say the only way to export is if they're made into jewelry. So ammolite collecting in Alberta is only allowed for the big mines that have permits already like Korite,Aurora, and the other one, however in 4 years from now the permits for mining will run out and the rights will be going back to the blood tribe, maybe then the rules will change to everyone's advantage! I'm miserable since this is my favourite fossil. :faint:

fig rocks..... Its a pity things have gone that way, but like you say in 4 years ...who knows.... why can they say they want it.... even though you have took the time to find it..... thats not really fair......to tide you over check out the ammonite I mentioned above that I was prepping..... Its not colourful and shiney, buts its all natural......Its in General fossil discussion under 'latest Find'... in my name.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Just to add more to the mix

Native reserve's are under fed rule not prov.

:)

Where are you Bone Digger? I have a bone to pick with you, you don't disagree with a woman and then ignore her! :rolleyes:

Where are you Bone Digger? I have a bone to pick with you, you don't disagree with a woman and then ignore her! :rolleyes:

He's not currently logged-on (last seen +/- 7:45 Eastern)....probably in a bunker somewhere :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi bone digger I found my specimens by the river around Lethbridge :). About the hogwash theory I am just quoting what i was told by the person in charge of ammonite collecting at the Blood Tribe, sorry if you don't like his answer. I can give you his phone # if you like :)