My Dino Dig Trip

Troodon

Hi Troodon,

First of all very cool post.  If you don't mind I actually have some questions.  Do you fly or drive?  If you fly, how is the tsa with carrying the fossils as carry on ( cause lets face it you can't trust the baggage people at airports with fossils)?  Very awesome fossils.  I volunteer with a university at a southern new jersey fossil site and I've been trying to volunteer with the museum of the rockies for a few weeks when they go out to the badlands.   I know you have been getting a lot of requests to join your team out there and I definitively would want to be one of them, obviously.  When do you think you would be heading back out there and I am now obsessed with fossils.  

I

1 hour ago, putt510 said:

Hi Troodon,

First of all very cool post.  If you don't mind I actually have some questions.  Do you fly or drive?  If you fly, how is the tsa with carrying the fossils as carry on ( cause lets face it you can't trust the baggage people at airports with fossils)?  Very awesome fossils.  I volunteer with a university at a southern new jersey fossil site and I've been trying to volunteer with the museum of the rockies for a few weeks when they go out to the badlands.   I know you have been getting a lot of requests to join your team out there and I definitively would want to be one of them, obviously.  When do you think you would be heading back out there and I am now obsessed with fossils.  

Thanks, most of us drive, including myself,  but some in the group may fly.  Driving is the obvious choice of travel since it permits you to bring the proper collecting tools and let's you bring home anything you find.   The TSA is fine with carrying fossils on board and has long as it fits in carry-on luggage the airline does not care.  TSA will ask to see what you have, will inspect it and may swab it.  I've heard that large theropod teeth may be an issue but its hearsay.  Larger bones that are in plaster jackets must be driven.    We typically have a spring and fall trip.  Sorry but we are not looking for volunteers and as I said it's a pretty tight group that goes with few changes.  Most of us in this forum are also obsessed with fossils why we are here.  

That is a very nice site you've got, troodon.  Thanks for the pix.   I have had TSA take a rock away cause it waS BIG ENOUGH TO BE A WEAPON. Oops on the caps lock. 

7 hours ago, jpc said:

That is a very nice site you've got, troodon.  Thanks for the pix.   I have had TSA take a rock away cause it waS BIG ENOUGH TO BE A WEAPON. Oops on the caps lock. 

Thanks, that's what I've heard about but never experienced it.  The guys flying have never had an issue but they are taking back small teeth, carpals, unguals etc and nothing big.   Guess it also depends on the intelligence level of the person across from you :ighappy:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Troodon If I may just quote a phrase from you excellent report back below.

.  I use two Paleobond products :  PB4417 which is a field consolidant and comes off easily during prep but does not have structural strength. "

Is this product readily available, as I'm now in a position to carefully remove a number of in situ plesiosaur anterior dorsal rib's. Example pictured below.

received_1680282112262981.jpeg

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Hi troodon !

Great Trip and awesome fossils :envy:

Thats what I want to found in my lifetime ... those teeth :wub:

Hope i can visit this location anytime ....

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

How did I miss this post?  Very nice trip report Troodon!  Very detailed.  Very nice to see digging in action.  some very nice fossils too.  If i was younger I would pester you till you invited me along, but now, If I was to come along, i would be the cook and the photographer.   and only a part time cook and part time photographer.  Nap at noon and cocktail time starts at 3.  Ha!!!  :)    But very nice report.  Thanks for sharing. 

RB

9 hours ago, DarrenElliot said:

Hi @Troodon If I may just quote a phrase from you excellent report back below.

.  I use two Paleobond products :  PB4417 which is a field consolidant and comes off easily during prep but does not have structural strength. "

Is this product readily available, as I'm now in a position to carefully remove a number of in situ plesiosaur anterior dorsal rib's. Example pictured below.

These are commercial products here in the States.  

http://www.paleobond.com/

16 minutes ago, RJB said:

How did I miss this post?  Very nice trip report Troodon!  Very detailed.  Very nice to see digging in action.  some very nice fossils too.  If i was younger I would pester you till you invited me along, but now, If I was to come along, i would be the cook and the photographer.   and only a part time cook and part time photographer.  Nap at noon and cocktail time starts at 3.  Ha!!!  :)    But very nice report.  Thanks for sharing. 

RB

Thanks, always can use a cook  :ighappy:  but those long breaks won't work :D...

4 hours ago, belemniten said:

Hi troodon !

Great Trip and awesome fossils :envy:

Thats what I want to found in my lifetime ... those teeth :wub:

Hope i can visit this location anytime ....

Thanks.  There are not many sites in your country to have a similiar dig.  We are very fortunate here in North America when it comes to dinosaurs.   

The prep work on the Edmonto ungual and metacarpal all finished.   No resto just crack fill required.

MetaCar2c.thumb.jpg.9894db80280b6de7d096b99b00ccd2a6.jpgCarpal4.jpg

HadroUng2c.thumb.jpg.6858c4003233ef5f8486d1deca984d72.jpgUng7a.jpgUng7b.jpg

Beautiful pics and finds, and a great tutorial!:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

• 4 months later...

Well it took quite of bit of time but finally got back, from the preparer, some of my finds from this trip.  He's a dealer and was getting ready for Tucson and I knew, going in, I would take a back seat to his fossil business prep.  He's the best in the business when it comes to teeth so I did not care.   Remember I'm collecting in a Hadrosaur bone bed, I can clean very well but cannot crack fill or paint worth a liking.  Sorry just used my phone for pictures

I already posted one of my hadrosaur unguals.  This one was full of iron and I did not have the tools to do the type of work it needed.

20170327_150036.thumb.jpg.12112e53af6da8bfa23ff596af7a2877.jpg

A distal caudal vertebra with some pathology. Crock? 

20170327_145431.thumb.jpg.33d8ba4d8e836cd90c3548c6d7252aac.jpg

A Hadrosaur, juvenile caudal vertebra 

20170327_145421-1.thumb.jpg.f491a39140fda4d64ffaef6630c57c92.jpg

A baby hadro toe bone 

20170327_145459.thumb.jpg.56ad14e8db7384beb569bd815f1b47fa.jpg

And my best find a partially rooted premaxillary tooth from a T rex

20170327_145928.thumb.jpg.d02d26f65ecbb0e2f5fa89be27bfb78c.jpg20170327_145959.thumb.jpg.629f27f1c0f8523d1b6f45e4d54a229b.jpg20170327_145945.thumb.jpg.2a1719ece69ea16b7f3b89b9b82eb18f.jpg

Beautiful specimens, Troodon!   I love that caudal vert on the slab.  :wub:.  I would love to have one prepared like that some time.   Thanks so much for sharing!  

Archived